Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A line up any museum would happily kill for.

Indeed, although the only ones the RAF Museum doesn't have in its collection out of that lot are the Stirling, Avenger, Master and Hotspur. It's Boston is still in Australia as far as I know.

A pair of Rumanian Bf109s in front of a Me323E-2 WT gunship.

The "Waffentrager" was a concept much like the U.S. YB-40 (B-17 gunship), except it's firepower still wasn't enough to save itself or the aircraft it was supposed to protect.

Me323E2_gunship1.jpg

Smoky's War...

Smoky, a female Yorkshire terrier, was found in February 1944 by an American soldier in an abandoned foxhole in the New Guinea jungle. Her origins were unknown and she did not understand commands in Japanese or English. The soldier sold Smoky to Corporal William Wynne of Cleveland, Ohio, for two Australian pounds, the amount the soldier needed to return to his poker game.
Smoky accompanied Wynne through the rest of the war, often dangling from his backpack. She went on combat flights in the Pacific, lived in tents, faced equatorial heat and humidity, and shared Wynne's C-rations.
Smoky flew 12 air/sea rescue and photo reconnaissance missions, and 12 combat missions. She survived 150 air raids on New Guinea and made it through a typhoon at Okinawa. She was awarded 8 battle stars. She even parachuted from 30 feet out of a tree, using a parachute made just for her.
Wynne credited Smoky with saving his life by warning him of incoming shells on a transport ship. Smoky guided him to duck the fire that hit 8 men standing next to them.
In the Luzon campaign, the Signal Corps needed to run a telegraph wire through a 70-foot-long pipe that was 8 inches in diameter. Soil filled much of the pipe, giving Smoky only 4 inches of headway in some places. Her success getting through the pipe avoided construction that would have moved 250 ground crewman and 40 planes, putting the crew in danger of enemy bombings. A dangerous three-day digging task was completed by Smoky in 5 minutes.
At the end of World War II, Wynne brought Smoky back to Cleveland. The two were featured in a page-one story in the Cleveland Press on 7th Dec 1945 and Smoky became a national sensation. Over the next 10 years, the two traveled to Hollywood and all over the world to perform demonstrations of Smoky's remarkable skills.

Attachments

• smoky.jpg
    smoky.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 128
Nice pics, great story about Smoky - never heard that one before. brilliant.

Start counting your Pesos...here's your Me323!

There's a large section of main spar at the Luftwaffen Museum at Gatow - good starting point.

Nice pic, Chris, 455 Sqn at Leuchars had transferred to Coastal Command by that time and were engaged in torpedo bombing duties; the aircraft is a TB.1 variant modified to carry a torpedo in its bomb bay. A month previous to the image being taken, a detachment of 455 Sqn Hampdens had been sent to Vaenga, Russia in support of convoys on their way north. In Feburary that year whilst still with Bomber Command, 455 Sqn's Hampdens took part in raids against the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. It was the first RAAF (Article XV) squadron to bomb Germany. A distinguished unit.

There's a large section of main spar at the Luftwaffen Museum at Gatow - good starting point.
But this recent discovery is 100% intact, making it as rare as the Do17 recently recovered in Britain.

Now that I've said that, if we don't hear from VB for a while, we know he's on his way to the Italian coast to "add to his collection" :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back