Pictures of Bavaria and other parts of Southern Germany.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Chris. Have to agree with you 100% on the beauty of Germany. I think after viewing your pics, if I ever take a vacation to the old world, Germany will be first on my list. I remember watching the final episodes of B.O.B. and thinking how beautiful the country was. Definitely tops on my list of foreign places to visit. Thanks for posting.

Well, aging myself a bit but my high school trip to Berchtesgaden would have been 1976. We stayed at a hostel just west of Ramsau. My father's homestead is in a little place called Bernbeuren. They filmed Steve McQueen's famous motorcycle chase from the movie "The Great Escape" very near his old farm. You can see Neuschwanstein from his place.

Hopefully I will get some really good winter shots in January. Me and the wife are going back down to that area then, when we visit Salzburg for the weekend. Salzburg is in Austria but it is basically Bavarian...

Well here are some recent pics that I have taken.

This first set is of the small little town that I live in. It is called Lichtenau and was founded in the year 1246. It has a population of only 3,700 and is a typical little Bavarian town that has not changed much over the years. We still have an original fortress and a very good brewery. Nice little country town.

Here are just a few pics of the Ansbach Christmas Market. Ansbach is the next town over. It is a bit larger with a population of about 43,000. I will post some actual pics of the city up later. It has a very nice Palace in the center of the city as well.

Here are also some pics of Wuerzburg that I took yesterday. These are only a few, and in a few weeks I will visit the city again and get some better pics.

Very cool shots. Nice town bud, very pretty.

Notice on the monument there is a list of deaths for 1946. Is that for wounded who died later or guys they found out about after the war ended? Just curious.

Seen the same thing in my wife's home town in Italy. But over there, the panels are larger for WW1.

I am not sure. I might be able to find out by going to the mayors office and asking.

The monument is for people from the town who fell in many wars though. If you look at the two sides of the monument you will see that it lists names for the:

Franco Prussian War 1870-1871
World War 1 1914-1918
World War 2 1939-1945 including 1946

It also includes soldiers that were sent to Russia in 1945 and never returned from Labor Camps.

There is another monument that I was not able to get a picture of in the town of Ansbach that reads in German "Bring our soldiers back home!" in reference to the ones from Ansbach that have never returned from the Labor Camps.

Almost every town I have seen over here in Germany has some kind of monument for the towns war dead.

Users who are viewing this thread