Back from holiday - been a while.
I have already made many posts regarding politics on the forum - but might as well set the record straight:
I am a social democrat (anybody here calls me a socialist again I'll f'ing explode).
General political beliefs:
I believe in a free market with the neccesary restrictions. By neccesary restriction I mean: Breaking of monopolies, product quality control, environmental control, avertion of corporatism.... etc
I believe that certain areas of society should remain under statecontrol (transportation, schools, police, hospitals, correctional facilities etc...).
I believe in high taxes to cover education, health- and socialcare. I believe so not only out of humanitarian reasons but also for financial reasons. A broken uneducated person will strain society more than high taxes in the long run.
I believe in the right to abortion and in the complete banning of firearms.
I am split on the legalization of soft drugs
Views on age limits: Drinking: 15 years, Smoking: 18 years, driving: 18 years, voting: 18 years, 1st grade in school: 6 years
I believe in armed intervention only as a last resort. But when it is neccesary it better damn well happen. The US/UK (and others - including my own country) invasion of Iraq and the EU's lack of an initial response in Yugoslavia epotomize what I believe is completely "wrong" choices regarding armed intervention.
I believe in completely uninhibited free speach and expression - if someone wants to shreik "Heil!", to draw a cartoon of a religious profet, to burn a flag, or to make fun of the holocaust - thats fine - but don't expect me to sit idly by if something happens that I disagree with!
The society in which I live have almost all of the above qualities and views and as such I'm very content and happy. It's not a problemfree system ofcourse - but the record speaks for itself.
Voting record past, present and future:
I will probably never vote to the right of the centre - but deep inside i think that taking turns in 2*4 years to each side of the spectrum works the best. This keeps things in balance and removes the risk of stagnation.
If I lived in the US i would vote democratric - not for love of all the democratic views - simply for the lack of a better alternative.
Political Parties I have voted for in my 3 elections and why:
Social-democratic party: The largest of the centre/left parties here. Has a very moderate "try to please all" view on things. This has however mired them over the past years where their own views have dissapered under a smokescreen of trying to fit into what they think the voters want. If they ever regain their original views i might rejoin their "flock".
Radikale Venstre: A very academic (as in highly educated voters&leaders) party. It generally has a very centrist view slightly to the right of the above. But its views are never set and change as fast as reality does. Somehow they manage doing this without loosing any credibililty - why? Because everybody knows that they do this. They decide on every issue only after accessing all the points of view and facts. Considered an elitist party they only get some 10% of the votes. But this doesn't matter much as their biggest influence lies in the fact that they usually decide which wing wins an election as they hold the critcal 10% of the votes who swings the election one way or the other. I left them because they had a huge divide where half the party broke of into a smaller more rightwing oriented version. This removed the power of the party in the big decissions and has effectively marginalised them.
Socialistic Party: They got my latest vote. Do not let the name fool you. They are not socialistic in the words original sense. They are very similar to the first party i voted for but have an effective leadership and only change views when realities and NOT public opinion demand it.
What I hate most about politics:
1. Namecalling and idiotic historical comparrisons
IE.
Calling someone from the left a communist or someone from the right a nazi.
Claiming that the situation in Iraq was comparable to WW2
Claiming that the Bush administration has done like Hitler
Calling Islamic fundamentalists - "islamo-fascists" - a cheap way to cinvince people that they are "bad" and that war is neccesary.
Looking forward to hear any disagreements or mutual beliefs you fine people might have.