Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's true Matt. A rear gunner in a Lanc witnessed a Norseman way below, heading for France, when the Lanc was inbound to the UK, over the designated jettison area. He saw it suddenly nose over and go in. The returning bombers were jettisoning loads at the time.
I've got the full story if you'd like me to post it, and it's been accepted as the probable cause for the loss of the aircraft.

Nice one Ed and I can confirm that Terry's story is accepted as the most likely probability for the loss of Glenn Miller. It was a sad loss, but boy did he leave a legacy of great music........................okay so I'm an old b@stard.

THanks for your comments guys. I knew there were never Luftwaffe reports of a shootdown but I've never heard about the Lanc jettisoning bombs knocking his plane down. What a sad way to lose such a gifted performer.
Ed

As I think more about it, one story was that well over 100 lancasters were returning from an aborted raid on Germany carrying incendiary bombs. Not wanting to chance landing with such a load the dumped their bombs over the channel. Just as Millers plane was passing under them
another story was that a british AA battery had shot Millers plane down
and a third was that he (Miller) had been recruited as a spy to convince certain German officers to surrender. He had been captured by the SS in paris and executed

Yep, heard or read a few versions of what supposedly happened. But the 'Lancaster' version appears to be nearer the mark, with everything in the right (or wrong!) place at the right times, and an eye-witness account of the right type of aircraft 'going in' in what would be the approximate area where the Norseman would have been, and no other aircraft sortied or missing.

OK, I'll get the basics together in the next couple of days, and post it in the 'Stories' section. Been laid-up for three days, so haven't got around to doing anything about it.

Yesterday 15 Dec, was the anniversary of Glenn's loss in 1944. There was just a little note in our paper with the explanation that it was assumed that the aircraft he was flying in may have been a victim of bombers disposing of their loads from an aborted operation.

Here's my last "oddball" for the year. Ryan NYP-2. I didn't even know Ryan made another one of these after Lindberg's flight but evidently the Japanese knew and purchased it. The kit is a Testors re-pop of the old Hawk kit in 1/72. Still an impressive little model except for the etched in markings which I had to fill in.
Ed

Attachments

• Ryan NYP-2 2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC03022.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03023.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC03024.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC03028.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC03029.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03030.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 80
Nice, and I'm with Karl. Unless side-slipping for landing, how the h*ll did the pilot see where he was going on approach?!! Must have been like flying a Link trainer !!

Users who are viewing this thread