Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A quick build OOB 1/72 N1K1 George and I think the kit was Aoshima.I left her glossy because I got docked on a GB on a Zero I had to flat :)

2d06d527-e917-4834-a756-5dd493344e1d.jpg

25334f06-d732-4ee1-aeca-6f0fef2cc9d9.jpg

A few piccies of a very famous aircraft. Lt Theo Nibel's 'Black 12', downed by a bird strike whilst attacking the allied airfield at Grimbergen on 1/1/45 (Bodenplatte).

IMG_0962_zps90ad2e4f.gif

IMG_0963_zps79109788.gif

IMG_0965_zpsb3c77696.gif

IMG_0966_zpsa351b2a8.gif

Cheers

Steve

Very nice Steve. Never thought of a bird downing an aircraft during the war, but given the thousands of sorties flown, I imagine it happened more than once.

Geo

I'm sure it did! This Fw 190 D-9 was the first to fall into allied hands more or less intact and was closely studied after it was sent back to Farnborough. The Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report (CEAR) states that the bird, a partridge, had made a hole "several inches in diameter" in the coolant radiator. Given that this is an annular radiator and that the unfortunate bird had to pass through the propeller arc before hitting the radiator poor old Lt. Nibel was rather unlucky. At least being taken PoW after his forced landing ensured that he survived the war.

The partridge is not a very large bird and, at least here in England, never seems to fly above about 15' above the ground which makes Nibel even more unlucky :)

IMG_2606GreyPartridge_zps487e4777.gif

Cheers

Steve

Little known fact that the D-9 had an interruptor gear to allow birds to pass through the prop.....:lol:

Great job on that Steve. Certainly a subject that is well documented in photos.

That must be the old incoming feathered object interrupter device :)

There certainly are plenty of photos but nearly as many interpretations of them. I would say that the JaPo and Crandall profiles are at the two extremes. I agonised over the photos and decided that Crandall had got it more or less right. I just can't see a yellow rudder or lower engine cowling!

Cheers

Steve

Nice one Steve. I did the same aircraft for the very first Group Build on the forum, and I agree about the yellow under cowl panel and rudder - I couldn't see them either, and I've been trained in photo interpretation. But, like yourself, I spent a long time studying all the photos before making a final decision.

I've quickly knocked off one of Airfix's 'Dogfight Doubles'. This was given to me by someone who had received it as what is politely called an unwanted gift :)

These are both relatively new kits and very nice they are too. Both more or less click together and even the decals are good. These are absolutely OOB though I did apply a splinter camouflage to the Bf 110 as per Vasco and not the simplified version in the instructions.

IMG_0994_zpse2561aba.gif

IMG_0995_zps0a7ff8cf.gif

IMG_0996_zps68c25317.gif

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back