Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, the work computer was slow...can see the pics now!

Nice selection of kits there mate - like the Stuka and B-17... (are the outlines to the stars and bars really as yellow as they appear in the pic though?)

Ok, the work computer was slow...can see the pics now!

Nice selection of kits there mate - like the Stuka and B-17... (are the outlines to the stars and bars really as yellow as they appear in the pic though?)

Yes, sorry all was having some silly issues with the photo sizes as I shot them with a 12meg camera, had to downsize the images quite a bit....

Yes, the B17 decals have a fairly bright yellow outline, think it turned out ok thought.

Another of the B17

Attachments

• IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 88
I like the '17 also. Note that the U S star always faces forward or up for future kits.
Ed

I know :cry: was too late when I realised that it was upside down

My 5 yr son likes to play with them a lot, so a few have been battered a bit :oops: Note the props are gone from the Mig 3

All good fun...

That's how we learn Ed!

In my case, made a Matchbox 1:72 Boston as a kid, and took it to the shop I bought it from as the owner was interested in seeing what they're like completed. Proudly showed off my latest and best work... and then noticed the port star and bar upside down...:evil:
Felt like an idiot, but learnt to double check in future!!! :)

... BTW, whereabouts in Leeds are you? I used to get there a lot on business, have friends there still, and my brother lives in Wetherby.

I'm in the North West part, a large suburb called Horsforth, quite a nice part of Leeds.
I know Wetherby fairly well, another good part of Leeds, although more of a satellite town than a suburb.

... I didn't mean to be critical.
Ed

I think it's reasonable to point out clear errors, there's no problem if it is mentioned kindly, that is the only way to learn. If anyone spots errors on any photos of my models, I'd rather them be pointed out so I'll know next time. I always try to research what I'm making as much as is practical, but there is always the chance of an error slipping through.

Last edited:
Mmmmkay... My F4U is done and I'm mostly happy with the outcome, considering it's my first attempt. Honestly, I built about 25% of an F18A Hornet when I was a kid and a recent fascination with warbirds and WWII history got me into this. Be gentle...

A few lessons learned:
-Thin paints and eventually, get an airbrush. Brush painting is for the birds
-Primer is probably a good idea
-Canopies are a bitch
-A tiny drill is something I need to look for at the hobby shop (there were no mounting holes for fuel tanks and rockets on this kit)
-Working with 1/72 is good practice, can't wait to work with larger scale models

F4U-1.jpg

F4U-2.jpg

Just for the record, some of the work on here is amazing and inspiring. I really enjoyed building my first model. I'm working on some Japanese zeros next and hopefully I can apply what I learned from this build. Thank you all for the sweet pictures and all of the advice and information in this forum.

Thanks Loiner. I know Horsforth, got a friend I used to work with still lives there, and one of my mates, when I used to run the Parachute Display Team, lived there for a while before emiigrating to Oz. And you're right, Wetherby is too far out to be classed as Leeds! In fact, my brother now does his Saturday shopping etc in York, as it's as close, and quicker!

Crossing posts!
Carpediem, nice job! An airbrush is far from essential, and is really a luxury. Some extremely good, if not superb, jobs can be accomplished with the old 'hairy stick', and in fact, I still use a paint brush probably 50% of the time. I only really bought my first airbrush for finishes such a mottles, and it's only since buying a newer 'brush recently that I've started using it more.
I'm often asked about painting techniques and how to achieve various finishes etc, and a piece of advice I'm never afraid to offer is to use a paintbrush, in various styles and sizes, and get to know how paint behaves and works, and just what can, and can not, be achieved using various techniques, thinning ratios etc. My personal opinion is that too many modellers consider that an airbrush is a 'must have', and that it will dramatically improve their modelling skills. To an extent, this is similar to a brand new driver thinking that a luxury car, a Ferrari for instance, will make them a better driver!
Whilst there is no doubt that an airbrush is a very useful tool, and can, with practice, provide results perhaps difficult to achieve with a paint brush, it is just that - another tool in the box, and by no means absoulutely essential, with the possible exception of some complex shading or mottle finishes found, for instance, on some Luftwaffe aircraft.

Crossing posts!
Carpediem, nice job! An airbrush is far from essential, and is really a luxury. Some extremely good, if not superb, jobs can be accomplished with the old 'hairy stick', and in fact, I still use a paint brush probably 50% of the time. I only really bought my first airbrush for finishes such a mottles, and it's only since buying a newer 'brush recently that I've started using it more.
I'm often asked about painting techniques and how to achieve various finishes etc, and a piece of advice I'm never afraid to offer is to use a paintbrush, in various styles and sizes, and get to know how paint behaves and works, and just what can, and can not, be achieved using various techniques, thinning ratios etc. My personal opinion is that too many modellers consider that an airbrush is a 'must have', and that it will dramatically improve their modelling skills. To an extent, this is similar to a brand new driver thinking that a luxury car, a Ferrari for instance, will make them a better driver!
Whilst there is no doubt that an airbrush is a very useful tool, and can, with practice, provide results perhaps difficult to achieve with a paint brush, it is just that - another tool in the box, and by no means absoulutely essential, with the possible exception of some complex shading or mottle finishes found, for instance, on some Luftwaffe aircraft.

Oh yeah, totally agree... While I'm dying to attempt some camo/mottling techniques with the airbrush, I still see myself using the brush for mostly everything else. Fact is, there is no other way to achieve detail other than become proficient with a paint brush. While I wasn't completely satisfied with my paint results, I was pleasantly surprised with the final result. I learned a lot too, which is certainly my biggest goal at this point in time.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back