Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An airbrush isn't essential, but I used to paint only with brushes and since getting an airbrush last year I would add that it does make painting the main body colour much more pleasing, and it is so quick to spray thin coats over the entire model, to quickly build up a nice even finish every time.

It only has to be a cheap airbrush which will still produce very pleasing results, eg. Humbrol, which local hobby stores typically sell, and a cheap compressor (or you can use a tyre if you don't mind pumping it up a few times, which I did for a while). I still use brush painting for all details though, and most smaller parts, internals etc. The advice for canopies is to dip in 'Future' liquid wax polish, mask off and spray, but I find it easier to get a thin brush and steady hand, and am usually pleased with the result.

HUM300133.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the next model in my X-plane series. The Douglass X-3 Stiletto in 1/72 scale.The kit is from Mach 2 and is maybe the worst kit I have ever encountered. Bad fit,parts not well defined and decals are not worth the paper they were printed on.This is a lot of work AND putty later.
Ed

Attachments

• DSC01601.jpg
    DSC01601.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01604.jpg
    DSC01604.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC01608.jpg
    DSC01608.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC01609.jpg
    DSC01609.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC01612.jpg
    DSC01612.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 127
This is not a military plane, but the Piper J3 'Cub' played a very important role in WWII in the US civilian pilot programme, providing about 80% of all US combat pilots their first basic lessons in flying from civilain flying schools. Also one of the first widely built and used light airplanes for civilian use.

PiperJ3-1.jpg

PiperJ3-2.jpg

Sorry about the poor background, I've just finished the model today and taken quick snaps to show the finished article; the latest in my 1:48th collection.

It was probably one of the most difficult ones I've done to date, as the yellow coat was tricky to get a satisfactory even layer and bold enough in that 'Cub Yellow', but I'm fairly pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Here's my B-17G (1/48 Revell/Monogram) that I got some 20 years ago and finished a couple of years back. It was my first try with airbrushing, but I hadn't learned how to install decals correctly yet.

Attachments

• B17 2.jpg
    B17 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 90
  • B-17 1.jpg
    B-17 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 92
Obviously not all of these are mine, but a good chunk of them are so I guess I'll put them in this thread. These are pictures of the shelving units we have in the basement. The first one in the pictures is the last one built, and was purpose built to house models as we had run out of room. It was built in the summer, and as you can see we're filling it up quite quickly! :oops: Some of the shelves are sparse though, so there's plenty more room!

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

Impressive to say the least. Very nice collection of models and still much space left on the shelves. Gonna need a lot of work for cleaning off the dust after a while though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back