Prince Heinrich Alexander Ludwig Peter zu Sayn-Wittgenstein

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great show chaps! :thumbleft: 8) Are these profiles acceptable acceptable for two of Wittgenstein's 88's? And colour pic of Weissenfeld.....

Attachments

• ju88_wittgenstein1.jpg
    ju88_wittgenstein1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 136
  • ju88_wittgenstein2.jpg
    ju88_wittgenstein2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 118
  • weissenfeld.jpg
    weissenfeld.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 150
good question but for the top profile the radar would not include the much older set with an updated FuG 220 if that is what is shown, I see the light blue arms for the radar but the black is too dark to see if vertical radar aerials are mounted ?

I enlarged the profile, and yes, the vertical dipoles are there. I'll see if I have a close-up pic of the various installations, I think I should have. Possibly got shots of the radar sets/screens also. I'm guessing the later installation would be Fug220 or 220A, but I'll check on this, and the earlier Lichtenstein etc.

Terry you will not find the earlier LIctenstein FuG 4-poster along with FuG 220 set, it did not happen

My fault, didn't write it properly! I meant I'd try to find pics of the earlier installations and the later installations, not the two together! My apologies!
Back later, my dinner is burning!!!

I try to attach some images I found of Sayn-Wittgenstein's Ju 88 C6 c9+AE, one of which shows our man next to his score board (source: BAK) taken at the Eastern front 1943. At this point with his tally standing at 29, it was said that most successes were scored whilst flying c9+DE. Of note are the early Schraegemuzik MG FF guns in the picture, almost in line behind each other near the trailing edge of the wing. Of particular interest would be the
legend on the entry hatch of c9+AE "Komm' zuruck", which loosly transates
as "I'll be back". Closer inspection of the photos would reveal that the surface is highly polished and that the tally starts in the L/H bottom corner. The other machine c9+DE was referred to as Expressjaeger, which did not have the so called Bodenwanne and sported the narrower C4 type cockpit with with MG 151/20 instead of MG FF as frontal armament. This makes the profile of c9+DE remarkably accurate. IS there maybe a photo some were to support this? The camouflage of both the Ju 88s was of the interim RLM 74/75with black undersides. Moreover both planes carried this scheme from October 1942 untill January 1944.

I try to attach some images I found of Sayn-Wittgenstein's Ju 88 C6 c9+AE, one of which shows our man next to his score board (source: BAK) taken at the Eastern front 1943. At this point with his tally standing at 29, it was said that most successes were scored whilst flying c9+DE. Of note are the early Schraegemuzik MG FF guns in the picture, almost in line behind each other near the trailing edge of the wing. Of particular interest would be the
legend on the entry hatch of c9+AE "Komm' zuruck", which loosly transates
as "I'll be back". Closer inspection of the photos would reveal that the surface is highly polished and that the tally starts in the L/H bottom corner. The other machine c9+DE was referred to as Expressjaeger, which did not have the so called Bodenwanne and sported the narrower C4 type cockpit with with MG 151/20 instead of MG FF as frontal armament. This makes the profile of c9+DE remarkably accurate. IS there maybe a photo some were to support this? The camouflage of both the Ju 88s was of the interim RLM 74/75with black undersides. Moreover both planes carried this scheme from October 1942 untill January 1944.

Anyhoo....was going to do some more work on my BOAC Mosquito this weekend.
Now I'm ordering some paints for the nightfighters and have some problems....
Dragon recommend for the airframe itself on the 88G-6; Italeri and Gunze Sangyo's Mr Colour #H314/314 or FS35622 which in this case is this one. Does that one look correct or would this one, or this one be used instead? Which colour should the blotches themself be in? THAT is, if either Wittgenstein or Weissenfeld flew the G-6, if not, might do it for Rökker... As for the C-6 here, I take it that the underside of the machine is black but what RLM is the rest of the airframe, did Wittgenstein's +AE and +DE both have the victory markings or was it just +DE?

no neither one flew the G-6 Lucky. Prince-W only the C-6 and Prince-Lippe the Bf 110G-4.

Is it true that on the 16-17 of June '42 Wittgenstein scored a B-24, which unit was the B-24 from?

With the two NJWD volumes....is there a point to buy this one as well?

Attachments

• luftwaffe nightfighter combat claims.bmp
    178.2 KB · Views: 123
Lucky I would not touch that silly book with a ten foot pole ...............not worth it. there are many single engine claims not listed in that volume, not complete.

as for the Princes score I am going to have to take some time and dig, he may have id'd the a/c all wrong

Maaaan...! These paint charts by Tamiya and Dragon annoys me...especially Dragon! They say as much that the main camouflage is RLM, right...but the blotches in top camouflage as "Gray"....what bl**dy Gray is that then, NO RLM....! This is for '88C-6...not much better for the G-6, just FS standards...back to check, double check and tripple check...moooaaan!
Revell had at least the RLM numbers on the 110G-4....
What's the correct RLM's for the '219 then, RLM 22 underside, RLM 76 for the main camouflage on top and RLM 75 for the blotches??

the He 219 is an overspray of RLM 76 with RLM 75 grey-violet blotching, this was also the standard scheme if you want to call it that on the Ju 88G-6 as well during late 44 through 44 with countless variations of the two colors and then even dark brown-violet and dark green thrown in to boot for the Ju 88G-6's.

Color pics of Ju 88G-6's have been even sky blue to a white-blue in 45 as the oerall base coat. this could of literally faded from the all blue to more of the white due to ultraviolet but am sure there are more experten here that could give their thoughts on this

God sent, so you are Erich! Thanks a million! Getting the paints for these machines to start soon (I hope), fiddle along with the Mossie now...:lol: What would the correct colours be for Wittgenstein's C-6, C9+DE, here in the profiles be then, the same?

the guys that model need to help you on this C-6, again my true specialty is late 44 till wars end stuff really. the profiles are pretty much bonafide but again the modelling experten here would know..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back