Question About the VVS/Eastern Front Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have and old Classic Airframes MiG-3 I've had for years that I'm going to build. The only problem is that when I looked in the box I found that I had sprayed the interior color on a few of the parts sometime in the distant past. Probably had some extra paint in the airbrush when I was painting something else, because I don't even remember doing it. :oops: Hope this isn't a problem for entry into the group build.

The paint got to you!!

Harry, VVS stands for Voyenno-Vozdushnie Sily(spelling!) in translation Army Air Forces, which was the official name of Soviet Air Force. But, you can choose some other combatant nation which was fighting in the East - Germans, Finns, Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks, Croatians, Italians... Plenty to choose from.

Shouldn't be a problem Glenn.

Appreciate the explanation Igor! Now I may have something!

No problem with that one Glenn.
There were also other western aircraft, including:
Spitfire
Hurricane
P40
C47 (and copies!)
Canso (Catalina) etc etc.

I was thinking about what other aircraft I could do for this GB on the way to work today. I was thinking of doing White "01" which belonged to Major-General A.A.Kuznetsov, CO of Naval Air Forces, Soviet Northern Fleet. Let me know if there are any objections. If so I'll go back to my other choice the Il-2

If anyone has any info on White "01" other then that on Wings pallet would be appreciated. The colors there are difficult to make out.

The good thing is I might actually have a Hurricane in the stash. Just got to check the Mk...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Hurricane Major-General A.A.Kuznetsov.jpg
    Hurricane Major-General A.A.Kuznetsov.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Hurricane.jpg
    Hurricane.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 79
  • HURRICANE-IIB-Russian-2.jpg
    HURRICANE-IIB-Russian-2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 88
I saw that site and picture but couldn't make out the colors. Even on Wings Pallett you can't make out the profile. I never saw that model. That's great, thanks!

Now all I need is a MkIIc. Turns out the one I do have is a Mk IIb. :( Or vice versa....

Last edited:
Harry, I don't think the colour for interiors of Russian aircraft was the dark grey one. Usually they use a steel A-14 primer. The colour might have looked like the dark grey paint but it wasn't in fact. If you meant the cockpit interior for your Il-2 on skis, I would suggest using of FS25630 light grey colour. The equivalent of the paint called AE-9 can be Humbrol 64 ( the sample no.1 below ) .

Attachments

• humbrol-64-emalia-matt-light-grey.jpg
    humbrol-64-emalia-matt-light-grey.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 95
  • A-14 steel primer.jpg
    A-14 steel primer.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 91
Of course you can. Some white plus some black and voila. But won't make the mixture dark. It should be rater of light tonality. Do you have any paint that is of RLM66 colour? If you do you can use this one with adding of white paint. ALso you can use the Natural Grey paint applied on P-47 Thunderbolt undersides.

Can I get this question answered here regarding the Vish-61P propeller?

The VISh-61P prop was quite the standard propeller used by Russian for their aircraft. Especially by Yak, LaGG, Pe-2 and a few others. Its diameter was of 3 meters. So you should look for the part for one of the Yak-1, LaGG-3 models.

Would this same prop have been used on the Mig-3? I found this Ultracast Mig-3 prop, is it the same?

Attachments

• mig3 prop.jpg
    mig3 prop.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 59
  • mig3 prop jig.JPG
    mig3 prop jig.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back