Question About the VVS/Eastern Front Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but I haven't been around for a while so I may have missed it.

For the VVS part of the build, is it WW2 only? Reason I ask is that I have a 1/32 MiG-15 or 17 (can't remember which one! :oops: ) and I'd like to have a crack at that.

Thanks!

This is another one which came from the Member's Poll choices Cory, so your guess is as good as mine!
Maybe those who suggested it can enlighten us?

I figured you'd be in the know Terry! I'm disappointed! ;)

Well, if the MiG-17 (I checked!) isn't eligible, I found a Lysander with Finnish markings in the stash that I can use. There's actually 2 of the MiG-17s in the stash. :confused:

I would have thought the Cold War GB would have picked those entries up Cory. I intepreted "VVS/Eastern Front 1941-45 Split Build" as being WW2 to be honest.

Yeah, it'd be a cool little bird. I honestly forgot I even had it, as it was one of the kits in that giant group that my family was given. My brother actually brought it up and remembered that it had Finnish decals in it. I'm all for it! One thing I don't understand is that the original purchaser has not one, but two interior PE sets, both basically the same in regards to what they include. One's Eduard, and I don't recall the other brand. Also has canopy masks in it!

:thumbright:

Going through my stash now but unfortunately it'll probably be another 109, unless I go out and buy another kit. I have nothing for VVS planes.

As Andy suggested MiG-17 and other jets were covered with the Cold War GB, so this one is for the WW2 period only. Though I fail to see why this was made split build between VVS/Eastern front in the first place, when Eastern front includes Soviet aircraft of the period as well as other nations fighting there. So, to my understanding this isn't really a "split" build, but rather one that includes all combatants on the Eastern front in 1941-1945 including Soviets!

My entry for this GB gonna be Academy 1/72 Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik single-seater. Was thinking to add Bf 109 as a second entry myself, but there's plenty future Group Builds for that - Aircraft of the Aces, Focke Wulfs and Messerschmitts, etc. I could change my mind yet though... :)

Last edited:
I have and old Classic Airframes MiG-3 I've had for years that I'm going to build. The only problem is that when I looked in the box I found that I had sprayed the interior color on a few of the parts sometime in the distant past. Probably had some extra paint in the airbrush when I was painting something else, because I don't even remember doing it. :oops: Hope this isn't a problem for entry into the group build.

I dont have any Russian planes.....or VVS. Darn it!

Harry, VVS stands for Voyenno-Vozdushnie Sily(spelling!) in translation Army Air Forces, which was the official name of Soviet Air Force. But, you can choose some other combatant nation which was fighting in the East - Germans, Finns, Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks, Croatians, Italians... Plenty to choose from.

Shouldn't be a problem Glenn.

Last edited:
If it helps, a number of Western Aircraft also served with the VVS (and the Russia Navy) obtained through Lend/Lease:

Lend Lease.JPG

They also obtained several other planes through recovery:

P-38L (1) tested
B-17 (73 of which 23 were made flyable) used by the 45th BAD 890th BAP
B-24 (73 of which 30 were made flyable) used by the 45th BAD
PV-1 Ventura (several) used by the 128th CAD (against the Japanese)
Avro Lancaster (2) as transports

(source Soviet Air Power in World War 2 by Yefim Gordon)

I also have a list of Russian Aircraft used if that would help anybody.

For all a little bit lazy modellers ICM offers Spitfire with the Russian markings.

Attachments

• ICM Spit rus.jpg
    ICM Spit rus.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 181
I have and old Classic Airframes MiG-3 I've had for years that I'm going to build. The only problem is that when I looked in the box I found that I had sprayed the interior color on a few of the parts sometime in the distant past. Probably had some extra paint in the airbrush when I was painting something else, because I don't even remember doing it. :oops: Hope this isn't a problem for entry into the group build.

I wouldn't object Glenn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back