Quotes and Jokes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One from a few years back when a RAAF F-111 lost a wheel on takeoff and had to then land on it's belly (photos of which are also included):

View attachment 713490

View attachment 713491
View attachment 713492
View attachment 713493
Ok, I'm not a pilot, and have 0 (ZERO) experience with this sort of thing, but I would have planted it in the grass strip. Would this have not minimized the chance of fire and provided more drag to stop? Maybe cross-runways would be a problem, don't know?

RAAF Amberley was where this occurred and yes, there are crossways between the two airstrip which may have caused the aircraft to crack up.

A hard surface would cause more drag than grass, plus the airstrip were.equipped with arresting cables (much like an aircraft carrier) and the F-111 used it to slow it's landing speed before setting down.

Go back to the first of three photos and zoom in on the F-111's underside beneath the tail and you'll see that it's captured the cable.

Ahhh! Obviously I did not see that detail. Great piloting to catch it that close to the ground. Had to have been an 'exciting' ride. No amusement park ride anywhere could match something like that!

And the fire trucks can get there pdq.

Some more photos of the 'landing' can be seen here: F111 / F-111-A8-143 | ADF Serials

The aircraft, A8-143, was not returned to service.

The age-old chestnut... grass or seal for a wheels-up...

I've seen both, and to be honest, there isn't a huge difference in the amount of damage. seal grinds the bottom out, grass just beats and bends the panels and frames. I haven't recognised much difference in ground run-out between the two surfaces. However, you are less likely to dig into seal and turn the aircraft sideways, with ensuing loss of control. (well, that's the theory)

Users who are viewing this thread