Quotes and Jokes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had a TR4 (the solid rear axle version), and top up or top down, never had any trouble staying warm....in Key West FL!
Enjoyed "rat racing" with a friend in the marle out by the abandoned WWII submarine pens and out-cornering his swing axle TR250 with my straight axle TR4.

Remember the Fiat Spyder two seater of the late 70's? Typically Italian. Beautiful car, but......."Electricity? What's electricity?"

Fix It Again, Tony

I've always thought that if Toyota would have brought out a two seater rag top Corolla they'd have owned that market forever.

Well Toyota did produce 3 generations of MR2 from 1984 to 2007 that sold quite well throughout the world

I made alot of Money changing the small coolant hose on Mister 2's, you have to remove the engine to replace it, the dealers wanted around 1800.00 USD's for just that hose change. I would do them over a weekend and charge the owner $1000 USD's. and change all the hoses for that price.

I still remembering following one of those through a local town. Not racing him or anything. On the way to the laundramat, actually.
They were a fairly new model back then. I remember he pulled into the lot that the mat was at, at 30 mph. Didn't lean an inch.
Impressed the hell outta me!

Must have been designed by a Brit - you know "The right way, the wrong way, and the British way."

WOT old chap, you want ease of routine maintenance. Wot a novel idea. Now let me see how I can make that oil filter unchangeable without removing parts.

There was a GM design that Chevrolet and Pontiac sold under different badges. I think one of them was the "Sunfire". To change the rear spark plugs, the car had to be put on a lift and the engine dropped.
You might mean Sunbird. One son had one of those. Had to remove most of the top bits off the engine to change the battery. I've always said, I hope there is a Pontiac Hell where when the designers pass on they go there and have to take out and replace the battery for eternity.

FIAT has many names in Australia - a bit like the Phantom.

We've already seen Fix It Again Tony, then we have Furious Italian At Traffic lights and the classic F@#% Italy After This !!!

Maserati, Lamborghini, De Tomaso, Ferrari etc all seem to have made up for it though which is nice.

Early third generation GM F-body cars had an issue as mentioned.

Camaros and Firebirds mostly.

Also the 4th gen. GM G-body platform (Malibu, El Camino, Cutlass, Century, Bonneville, etc.).

All needed to either pull front left/right wheels to access #8 & #7 plugs or pull the front wheels and unbolt the motor mounts to access #8 & #7 plugs.

Some models also needed to have the exhaust manifold heat shields removed, too.

There was a GM design that Chevrolet and Pontiac sold under different badges. I think one of them was the "Sunfire". To change the rear spark plugs, the car had to be put on a lift and the engine dropped.
The Chevy version was the last incarnation of the Cavalier.
I used to work with a lady who had one. She loved hers.

Last edited:
Getting access around the engine is a common problem for mid-engined cars whether they be designed by Toyota, or Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini or Noble (low production British models using Ford V6 power). It becomes especially so if the engine is then mounted transversely. Just not much room left to work in.

The Lamborghini Muira produced 1966-73 even managed to squeeze a 3.9l v12 transversely in a mid-engined layout. I believe it may have been the first with this layout. So blame the Italians not the Brits!

Only way round the problem really is a clamshell rear body as on the race bred Ford GT40. But that doesn't do much for crash protection or having a boot (trunk to USians). Still, can't have everything.

Was the US Pontiac not the Fiero? Mid-engined. So powerful it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding!

And of course the French got in on the act with the Matra-Simca Bagheera and Talbot Matra Murena mid engined 3 seaters. Wasn't there also a US mid-engined sports car with 3 seats abreast?

Users who are viewing this thread