Quotes and Jokes (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have had this joke a long time from my Marine friends' military emailings and didn't use it because of our French members. I decided only because we needed to lighten up. I mean no insult as I live in the French Acadian part of Louisiana. Besides, it could have been Italian... oh, did it again.

I have had this joke a long time from my Marine friends' military emailings and didn't use it because of our French members. I decided only because we needed to lighten up. I mean no insult as I live in the French Acadian part of Louisiana. Besides, it could have been Italian... oh, did it again.

No worries my friend.

1645822549278.png

The two-hand salute may have been popularized by the French, but, as with all French fashions, it quickly spread. By mid 1945 even the Germans were doing it.

A friend of mine who was in the USAAF in WWII, trained to be a B-32 gunship gunner, said that he and another enlisted man were at a base around the end of the war and watched a helicopter take off. The other guy uttered one of the all time best quotes about rotary winged flying machines;

"I would not be too scared to fly in one of those but I would be too embarrassed."

View attachment 659157
Everything old is new again
1645908265866.png

If, as mentioned by Rod Serling up-thread, in another world YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook merged to form YouTwitFace - does that mean that in some other world YouTube, Meta, and Twitter have merged to form YouMetaTwit?

NOTE: In this case the definition of Meta is today's colloquial meaning of about itself, ie "meta-X equals X about X." So, if we take the word "data" for our X, and add the prefix meta- to it, we get metadata, or "data about data." A meta-text is a text about texts, metacognition is thinking about thinking, . . .

If, as mentioned by Rod Serling up-thread, in another world YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook merged to form YouTwitFace - does that mean that in some other world YouTube, Meta, and Twitter have merged to form YouMetaTwit?

NOTE: In this case the definition of Meta is today's colloquial meaning of about itself, ie "meta-X equals X about X." So, if we take the word "data" for our X, and add the prefix meta- to it, we get metadata, or "data about data." A meta-text is a text about texts, metacognition is thinking about thinking, . . .
My head hurts now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back