RAF 274 squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
Gents received a bit of info on another forum that I frequent and thought i would pass on my note to you all.

time for some research all you knowledgeable RAF experts.

am now in contact with a former pilot that flew Tempests late 1944 in the 274th squadron and was involved in a chase scenario with an Me 262 which turned out to be a draw. Question : anyone have a photo evidence of the Tempests of the squadron and maybe a little background history of the unit so I do not act like a total boob during my questionaire with the man ?

many thanks and Good hunting ~

Quick search of my books turned up this, will look for some black and white photos as you can take the profiles for what they are worth, from the osprey series books

Attachments

• tempest.JPG
    tempest.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 259
Top photo is of the pilots of the 274th in March 1945. In the center holding the plaque is CO Jesse Hibbert. Bottom photo is of the aircraft he regularly flew. Only other person identified in the photo is Flt Lt Pierre Clostermann who is standing third from the left.

Attachments

• 274 pilots.bmp
    466.6 KB · Views: 392
  • Co Jesse Hibbert.JPG
    Co Jesse Hibbert.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 263
thank you this is a great start..........I always take Osprey with a grain of salt but it is something to go by.

thanks Mic for all of this. say to our Canadian members: is there any type of access to some sort of archives for WW 2 Canadian pilot train busters, the chap I am currently interviewing shot up 24 of them while in the 274th sq.

thank you

E ~

Is it train busters your interested in or just 274 I'm reading Blue Skies by Sqn Ldr Olmstead 443 RCAF sqn 126 wing and there record was 360 enemy aircraft
destroyed 496 locomotives 1569 rail cars and 426 cuts in rail lines and the last 2 chapters are about train busting in Spit IXs

both actually pb.

# 1 the record of the 274th and a pilot roster if possible

# 2 actions against trains and or locos/both possibly ?

E ~

Hi Erich,

I'd be very interested in any information you'd be willing to share about 274 Squadron as my grandfather served with them in North Africa in WWII.

Many thanks

Jim

Attachments

• 274sqn_NEW.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 172
Not directly what you are looking for but....

Effectiveness of Third Phase tactical air operations in the European Theater, 5 May 1944 -- 8 May 1945.

2 nd TAF

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
even a bit an p61 night intruder missions.

Attachments

• Clipboard05.jpg
    Clipboard05.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Clipboard06.jpg
    Clipboard06.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Clipboard07.jpg
    Clipboard07.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Clipboard08.jpg
    Clipboard08.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 159
Great stuff all 8)

Coincidentally Snautzer, the info you posted about rocket attacks effectiveness vs. claims is exactly what I was referring to a few days back in the thread about rocket-armed P40s. Thanks for posting it, it reassures me that I didn't dream the whole thing up :lol:

Hi Erich. Re Canadians in train busting roles, you can try this website listing all personnel with awards serving in RCAF and RAF service.http://airforce.ca/honours-awards/military-honours-awards-1914-1945-files/rcaf-personnel-1939-1949/. Also, some specific train busting stats with Canadain Squadorns flying Mustangs here: http://www.rcaf.com/Archives/archivesDetail.php?North-American-P-51-Mustangs-s-of-the-RCAF-15 In particular 414 Sqdn with 45 trains damaged or destroyed and 400 Sqdn with over 100.

I don't think there were any Canadian squadrons equipped with the Tempest but many Canadians flew them with the RAF squadrons. Stocky Edwards (274 Sqdn) and John "Judy" Garland (80 Sqdn) being just two. So you may need to search RAF archives for specific train busting missions.

Last edited:
I don't think there were any Canadian squadrons equipped with the Tempest but many Canadians flew them with the RAF squadrons. Stocky Edwards (274 Sqdn) and John "Judy" Garland (80 Sqdn) being just two. So you may need to search RAF archives for specific train busting missions.

No RCAF Tempest squadrons but 338, 339 and 340 flew Typhoons. The only non RAF squadron was 486 RNZAF. 349 Belg. and 485 RNZAF were equipped with Tempests but did not archive operational status.

Hi micdrow,

Pilot kneeling 2nd from the right is my great uncle...Flt Lt Roy C.Kennedy. KIA 24/3/45 at Helschen,Germany. Buried in Reischwald Forest Cemetery.

Hi Jim and others
My Grandfather also flew with 274 in 1941. I'm also looking for others that flew with him. My grandfather was shot down on the 1st Dec 1941, he bailed out and was picked up by Owen Tracey. Together they flew back in Lt Tracey's Hurricane. I also have a few photos that he took when he was with 274. My grandfather turned 95 this year.

Thanks
Serena

Users who are viewing this thread

Back