Red On !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I came across these B & W photos whilst doing a clean-up recently.
They were taken in 1970, and show the deployment sequence of the PX military static line parachute, when jumping from the A.W. Argosy, at approximately 1,000 feet.
Although I'm not 100% certain, I'm fairly sure that's me in the second shot, taken from the port side.

Para pics 001.jpg
Para pics 002.jpg
Para pics 003.jpg
Para pics 005.jpg

Thanks chaps.
My moustache was nervous, so it hid under the shadow of my nose !
Yes Jim, I sometimes miss it, although I'm too old and knackered these days to even get in the aircraft, never mind jump from it !
I did continue with parachuting after the Army, being involved with a free-fall display team for quite a few years, which was great fun.

Terry, Heck you were jumping practically neked! I had on near 200lbs(90kg) of equipment. I waddled to the plane and it was a relief to jump just to get off my feet. We had one Roman candle at school and we all got to see the aftermath...so twas never a fun thing to do
A graduation, jump #5, some guy was taking pics and supposedly if you knew your jump order he had your pic. In any case my Terry-pic
readytojump.jpg
3rdweekJ5.jpg

Yep, that pic of me was a 'Clean Fatigue' jump - no equipment, just main parachute and reserve - and was taken on my basic para course.
Routine operational jumps were done at between 800 and 450 feet, combined sticks of 60 to 64 bodies, if lobbing out of a Herc.
My normal load way exceeded the 'regs', since i had to carry personal kit, plus six 2 inch mortar bombs, 200 rounds of linked 7.62 mm, my SLR (FN FAL) plus four loaded mags (20 rounds per mag), another 100 rounds loose, even though, as a signaller, I was supposed to have a Sterling SMG, and, of course, the A41 radio, plus accessories and spare battery. ( Oh, and Brit 24 Hour ration packs, where the main meals were very conveniently provided in tins [ more ****ing weight !], the contents of which all tasted the same, and were known to stave of rats, vipers and Hippocroccofrogs, and if the best part, the 'Mars Bar', wasn't white and mouldy, then it was probably less than 10 years old !)
Add up the combined weight of parachute, harness, reserve, stupid 'piss pot' steel helmet (WW2 vintage), and the 'container' of kit., and I fell out of the door,carrying more than my own weight in kit !
Did i worry about the landing in 20 knot winds on a lumpy, rocky DZ ?
Did I **** !! -
As long as all body parts worked, and there were no leakages from any parts of my body, I only had to contend with carrying all that crap, whilst 'tabbing' at a minimum 5 mph over any terrain, and maybe get into a spot of bother.
Now, I can't even walk at 1 mph, can't imagine carrying those sorts of loads, and a 'Reserve' is the extra tins of beer hidden from sudden guests !
Happy days ?
You bet your ass they were !
Nurse, is it time for my milk yet (and put more bl**dy whiskey in it this time) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back