Remains of Army officer killed in World War II identified

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Welcome home! May you now RIP!

Remains of Army officer killed in World War II identified - latimes.com

Pacific Wrecks - B-17E "Naughty But Nice" Serial Number 41-2430

The remains of an Army Air Forces officer from California lost during a World War II bombing mission have been identified and will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, the Pentagon announced Tuesday.

The remains of 2nd Lt. Charles E. Trimingham of Salinas will be buried Wednesday along with those of eight other service personnel killed in the crash of their B-17E Flying Fortress while on a bombing mission over Rabaul, Papau New Guinea, on June 26, 1943.

The plane, named the Naughty but Nice, was hit by anti-aircraft fire and then shot down by a Japanese fighter aircraft. Nine personnel were killed, the 10th survived and became a prisoner of war, the Pentagon said.

The remains of five of the nine were recovered in 1949 and buried at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu. Remains from those five will also be buried at Arlington National Cemetery--all in a single casket, officials said.

In 2001, a team from the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command excavated the crash site and found human remains and crew-related equipment. Improvements in identification technology led to the identification of Trimingham and three others.

The B-17 was a four-engine heavy bomber used in Europe and the Pacific during World War II.

Good lord after all this time too.
I'm always glad when old warriors are found, identified and brought home.
I hope the families involved find comfort closure now.
John

Good lord after all this time too.
I'm always glad when old warriors are found, identified and brought home.
I hope the families involved find comfort closure now.
John

+1.

I know there are things (sometimes) like tags perhaps an identifiable airframe - and sometimes even DNA can't be recovered adequately - but it is incredible to read about DNA testing allowing families after all these years to truly lay their own to rest as individuals rather than as once in some sort of collective grave.

This sort of story is always sad but there's also a warmth in it too.

>> This is Uwe Benkel's website. Startseite. He's responsible for finding crashsites, recovering those planes and identifying pilots remains from both the Luftwaffe Allied. He is Internationally reconized for his hard work and to put names to those that died or were not found or not identified. He is a true Historian in every sense of the word. And I'm proud to call him a friend. Please take a look at his site.

Kindest Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back