Remembrance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Always buy and wear a poppy,if it falls off I buy another one. It's natures way of making me donate a little more,it's not much anyway. Noone should be forced,or feel they have to wear one. It's up to you.
Sadly it all seems a little more relevant the last couple of years. I've noticed a surprising number of younger people wearing them this year which is refreshing but a bit sad too.
Steve

Sadly it all seems a little more relevant the last couple of years. I've noticed a surprising number of younger people wearing them this year which is refreshing but a bit sad too.
Steve

I think its due to the fact that its an era that's swiftly moving into history. The cranky old guy down the street has passed, and stories are starting to circulate about how he took that pillbox singlehandedly, then went AWOL from the hospital so he could be with his buds during their next operation, that is starting to drive interest again. Its sad that these men and women passing is what sparks interest again. Of course, Hollywood being out of fresh ideas and turning to the history books doesn't hurt, either, except for the fact that they rarely get anything right.

I agree with that, and also I think the here and now (Afghanistan, Iraq) is making the younger generation more aware of the sacrifices made in service.

There was one old fellow at the remembrance service today that I recognised, I see him around the village and just had him pinned as a slightly barmy old fart, today he was wearing a blazer, a beret and a rack of medals. Very humbling.

Yep. Its generally the quiet guys you'd never expect, the ones who never talk about it and try to downplay their actions. They're the ones with the quiet confidence, the air of hard-earned wisdom and self-confidence; the ones I strive to be more like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back