Repositioning threads (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
On many fora I attent, moderators place a redirecting link when relocating a thread. So participants can see it was not just deleted. I think this could be a good practice here as wel?

It can be done because it is an option for a such moving of threads.I think there is no reason for keeping two the same threads ( although one is with the redirecting link only ). It may make the forum relations more complicated and occupies more of the server HDD area. What's more the initial thread with the link becomes "dead" because all participants will move to the relocated one.

Well, the rederection link would make clear what happened to the thread. Now it's suddenly gone and as the forum layout is quite complex, it can be hard to see where it went.
I don't see how this makes the relations more complicated. Also, the extra hd space occupied is not really significant as it probably is not more than a few bytes. Of course the thread becomes dead after a short while it should be closed actually. But most threads on this forum are dead, we have thousands of threads and only a handful are still used. The redirection thread could be deleted after some time, but I don't know if there's an option for that.

Last edited:
You may be right Marcel. However it isn't difficult to find any thread , especially if you have already posted there. It is enough to click your nick above the avatar and choose "View Forum Posts" option or the "My Posts" menu at the top bar. ALso ,everybody , who created a moved thread, is informed about it.
Anyway let's see what can say other guys here.

I'm not really sure what the issue is. Yes we can redirect threads and we can have them time out. To the best of my knowledge redirection of thread is not done often and when they are they usually have a redirection indication.

So what is the issue Marcel? Have you noticed the mods on this forum just deleting threads with no re-direction?

I rarely move threads from where they were. What usually happens is that posting starts on a new group build before I get around to creating the new section. At that point, I have moved threads into the new section. I haven't done it with redirection because it was pretty obvious where it would have gone. I don't think there are a lot of threads being moved around here though.

Is there something specific you are referring to?

I'm not really sure what the issue is. Yes we can redirect threads and we can have them time out. To the best of my knowledge redirection of thread is not done often and when they are they usually have a redirection indication.

So what is the issue Marcel? Have you noticed the mods on this forum just deleting threads with no re-direction?
no not deleting, just putting it in another part of the forum. I've noticed a few times that a thread was gone. Then got confused as to the location of the thread. Found it later back in another part of the forum. I was just thinking that wrongly placing a thread would be a fault that beginners would make. And they would have a hard time searching, being new. I saw this practice with redirection threads on the Ubuntu forum and thought it a neat way to solve this. But maybe I'm making a problem which in practice isn't there. If you guys don't get questions about these things than there probably isn't a problem. I guess my way of browsing is relying too much on the structure. I hate an unstructured search action :)

Last edited:
I have moved a few threads - very few. But when I do , I leave a re-direct for a day or week. Nothing longer as this is a fairly active forum and and it should be noticed quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back