"Resurrection: Salvaging the Battle Fleet at Pearl Harbor"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Ordered this book a month ago, and just got it today. As the title implies, it's a history of how the fleet was salvaged after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. From what I've read, this book was over 25 years in the making, researching who did what at Pearl Harbor. The book is written by Daniel Madsen. He also wrote "To Sail No More" and "The Forgotten Fleet".

The cover photo is of Dry dock #1. In the foreground are the USS Cassin and USS Downes, with the Battleship Pennsylvania in the background.

Will post more as I get into it.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0249.JPG
    DSCN0249.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Sounds like a very cool book Charles. I recently came across a picture of when they righted that Battleship that capsized (Oklahoma?). It looked like a humongous undertaking.

Could have been MUCH worse. Sunk at anchor the water was shallow. Had the fleet had warnings and had sallied sinkings would have occured in deep water and salvage impossible

I would like to get a copy of that Charles. Sounds very interesting. Glenn, about a year ago the History Channel did a show on the what it took to refloat the Oklahoma, very interesting also.

I need to get this book!

VB Aaron.... This book is available from Amazon.com Amazon.com: daniel madsen: Books

The price is $15.31 (usd) plus shipping.

Capt. Vick.... not yet. In Chapter Two, rescue of those trapped is still going on.

I've finished chapter one, which deals with exact damage to the ships present. I mean 'blow by blow" accounts of what bomb or torpedo did what damage. Some of it is really graphic.

Charles

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For some reason USS Pennsylvania was given top priority. She was fully repaired in six days !!!!

Charles

Only a single bomb hit that caused any type of damage. That's why she was given top priority. Plus being in a drydock meant that the ship was unencumbered in getting out into the harbor as opposed to the inboard BB's at battleship row.

After the attack, there was a persistent fear that the Japanese would invade Hawaii, and the USN wanted that BB to be ready when needed.

What it interesting to note is that in most parts of Pearl Harbor, the bottom is made up of silt and mud, up to 47 feet deep, in places ! So, when a battleship sinks, especially with a load of ammo and fuel on board, she sinks into the mud/silt. In the book they are discussing how to raise California. The ideas are mind blowing ! (1) Build a cofferdam around the quarterdeck, then pump her dry from the upper decks down (inside-out) or (2) Build a cofferdam around the entire ship, pump it dry, then patch up the hull and refloat it that way, or (3) pump high pressure air into the ship, which would push the water out and refloat the ship. No decision has been made yet.

Another interesting part is all of the battleship's turrets and guns were removed right away and put in storage. They were then overhauled and made available to the first ships to be made sea-worthy. So, Arizona's turrets/guns may wind up on the Oklahoma and Oklahoma's turrets/guns may wind up on the West Virginia.

For anyone interested in the PTO, this is a must read.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back