Revell 1/32 P-51 "Flying Dutchman"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To simulate painted aluminium (and silver - doped fabric), as opposed to actual bare metal, I add a very small amount of gloss white to the silver paint.
This gives a good contrast between the painted (or doped) areas and the 'bare metal' areas,
Though not the best example, the MiG 21 I built some years back was done this way, simulating the painted 'silver' finish, with the contrast between this, and the nose ring, evident.

MiG 21 290.jpg

Terry I have plenty of the Alclad Colors and like to mix MM with Alclad it becomes subtle.I took Andy remarks to go and respray the fuselage with MM Silver and the panels on the wings also.I then took Alclad Dull Aluminum for the flaps,ailerons,rudder and tailplanes it's subtle.I may respray the red to a brighter color to match the decals better :dontknow: Kevin
p51 003.JPG

p51 002.JPG

p51 001.JPG

I have gotten the tail colors on with a boo-boo forgot to put the tail numbers on first all's not lost I will just cut out the numbers that would show should work.The decals are thick so Walthers was used this stuff works but it scares the bejibbees out of me some crinkles stay it seemed though when I applied regular solvaset to the plane placed decal applied Walthers it smoothed out better.I still have to apply the bottom tailplanes stripes will follow that track and see if the results are more to my liking.
default_wink.png
Kevin
p51 006.JPG
p51 002.JPG

A little bit happening just got to do up the auxiliary fuel tanks and we are ready for another coat of clear and some wash.The brake line I made up out of hollow .010 brass tube and wire casing slide over that for the rubber.
default_wink.png
Kevin
p51 001.JPG

p51 006.JPG

p51 005.JPG

p51 004.JPG

Got a little bit done in the last week and started another which will be the 315 Squadron FX985
p51 002.JPG

Now with some wash starting to be applied already getting that worn look ;)
p51 001.JPG

FX985
9_30_b1.jpg

Thks for looking in Fellas ;) Kevin

This crate is getting close to finish gunsight,canopy,front windscreen,lights and antenna.The wash is complete with a semi-gloss enamel applied I don't know if the pics you see the lines from the auxiliary tanks.The plane has some of her faults but overall I am satisfied I would like to "American Beauty" but save that for the 1/24 I have and paint the colors.The 315 bird has the silver applied I did a primer this time buffed it then shot the lacquer gloss black hit it with semi-flat AL topside and it was to flat for me it says bare metal not painted!I then hit it with Airframe AL which is usually pretty bright looks good up top but on the bottom well you will see straight on the gloss.
p51 006.JPG

p51 008.JPG

p51 009.JPG

p51 010.JPG

p51 002.JPG

p51 005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back