Riverside Airshow 3/27/2010

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I am prepping for the show this morning and have heard some exciting news. Two F-4 Phantoms have been spotted in SoCal at March ARB! :shock: 8) The USAF Heritage flight on the schedule shows the flight with an F-86 and an F-4. I haven't seen an F-4 at an airshow in years, so this is pretty exciting! I will post some photos tonight after I get home.

Any of you guys in SoCal that were mulling whether to go to this one or not should really consider it. Phantoms are not real common these days.

One word that best describes today...WINDY! It was really blowing out there today, all day long. Gusts were hitting 35 knots, maybe more at times. But we were either pure aviation geeks, or just plain crazy (or is that plane crazy?)

I met wheelsup_cavu and we hung out for the show. Here are a few highlights. The first 2 shots tell the wind story. The wind sock was horizontal a big chunk of the time and we even had to dodge some tumbleweeds.

Attachments

• DSC_2046.jpg
    DSC_2046.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_2050.jpg
    DSC_2050.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_2094.jpg
    DSC_2094.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_2746.jpg
    DSC_2746.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_2875.jpg
    DSC_2875.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_3144.jpg
    DSC_3144.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_2997.jpg
    DSC_2997.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_2976.jpg
    DSC_2976.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 159
wow...I remember the Phantoms real well when I was a kid, they used to come and go from MCAS El Toro.

Sounds like you guys had a great time, and excellent shots (as always), Eric!

Great vid, Wheels!

Looks like it's going to be a slow year up here for aircraft related events :(

You can really hear that wind, wheels. That was once fast pass. I don't often get a feel for how fast it is when I'm staring through the viewfinder, except when I get fewer frames.

I'll have more shots tomorrow after I get some sleep. My head is splitting from not taking my allergy meds then standing out in the wind. D'oh!

Great stuff there guys, Eric Im wondering if its the location on where the Phantoms are based. I usually see 2 every year at Oshkosh. They do make a loud appearance.

The USAF ACC has 2 Phantoms for heritage flights. Both were at March over the weekend. One came to Riverside for the show, The other was at the Yuma show.

I'm not positive, but I think the F-4s are based at Langley.

The USAF ACC has 2 Phantoms for heritage flights. Both were at March over the weekend. One came to Riverside for the show, The other was at the Yuma show.

I'm not positive, but I think the F-4s are based at Langley.

Great info there Eric, any chance you will make the EAA this year?

Very cool shots Eric! Seeing that F-18 take off reminds me of the F-14 take offs at Norfolk Naval Air Station. At the beginning of the show one would do it's roll out, get off the ground just a few feet, tuck the gear and slam the throttles to the wall and pull back on the stick. It brings goose bumps just thinking about it.:) :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back