Russian Planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Mig-3 wasn't that bad and the Mig-15 had the same character as any other 50s plane. The F-86 Sabre was dog ugly too.

The MiG-3 was horrible. And take-offs and landings must have been nearly impossible with that much nose in front of the cockpit.

I don't like the looks of any of the 50s aircraft, maybe ugly was a too strong of a word.
The Mig-15 had to have that nose, the nose on the Ta183 was too short to accomadate the Rolls Royce Nene engine.

And they didn't even design it, the Germans did and they put a British engine in it.

The Americans and Russians are always proud of British and German designs, and engines.

All Rolls Royce engines are, look through the history of aviation in military and civil service Rolls Royce is always there. The Boeing 747 has Rolls Royce engines in it. They make the best engines in the world, and in the 50s they were basically the only engine worth considering accept Armstrong engines, which were also British. The Sabre had a copied Armstrong engine, and the Mig-15 had a Rolls Royce Nene engine in it.

thats true though, ive never seen a small rolls royce 8) :lol: did anyone here know that someone put a merlin engine in a car once and got sued for it? :lol:

No, I've never heard that. I knew they put Merlins in tanks, in WW2. Many British tanks were run on Merlins, called Meteors because of the slight modifications.

US PT-boats were powered by Packard engines. I'm not sure what (if anything) they had in common with the Merlin.

Because it's not the same engine, it wasn't just modifications in performance, it was a tank engine different from an aircraft engine. Therefore a different engine therefore a different name. It was basically a Merlin engine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back