Russian Spies...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hopefully we got at least one hot spy in return...seriously, Anna Chapman is cute!

Attachments

• anna-chapman.jpg
    anna-chapman.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 71
  • PHO-10Jun29-235201.jpg
    PHO-10Jun29-235201.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 65
Ya' know, the older pictures of her from her early 20s are of a girl that is cute. But the most recent stuff is showing somebody who's drifting towards Babuska. Little chubby, little round, nose getting a tad big. From cute as a button to fat as a cow in 10 20 years. It's commin' Anna girl, it's commin'!

It's hard to believe. Obama pretty much told the world that it's ok to spy on the U.S. The worst we will do to you, if you get caught, is send you home. should of dropped them off in Prison for awhile before setting them loose again.

I don' think you can look at it that way.

1. It was a prisoner swap, we received some our ours back in return. This is nothing new. It happened all throughout the cold war as well. Spy prisoner swaps happened very frequently during the Cold War and were usually conducted at border crossings or bridges in East/West Berlin.

2. Any other administration (including a Republic one) would have done the same thing.

Who had the idea to swap?

If it was our idea what would the Russians have done with ours if we never suggested a swap? Just curious

I agree with Adler here, spy-swaps are nothing new. Its cheaper to give them back than to toss them in a gulag after beating them dry. Its happened with both parties, regardless of political leanings.

The way I see it (may or may not resemble reality in any way, shape or form), there are always spies in every country, and for the most part, those countries will have a general idea of who may/may not be spies. Low-level spies/couriers will probably be tagged within a very short period of time, and either left in place to lead the watchers to bigger fish, turned and started feeding false information, defect, or eventually be scooped up and swapped for another low-level spy/courier. I don't think there's that much of a lag between different countries finding/scooping spies, if needed. Nowadays, spies in civilized countries (yeah, I laughed too) probably spend time in jail somewhere, courtesy of the CIA. Torture=Playstation 1, on an old-fashioned CRT TV. Without a remote.

I don' think you can look at it that way.

1. It was a prisoner swap, we received some our ours back in return. This is nothing new. It happened all throughout the cold war as well. Spy prisoner swaps happened very frequently during the Cold War and were usually conducted at border crossings or bridges in East/West Berlin.

2. Any other administration (including a Republic one) would have done the same thing.

Perhaps, but where is the deterent. Didn't prisoner swaps happen after the spies were questioned to see what they do or don't know? I don't think those prison swaps happened within a half months time, more like after at least a years time. I may be wrong but I feel there should be something that more discourages rather than incourages them.:|

Perhaps, but where is the deterent. Didn't prisoner swaps happen after the spies were questioned to see what they do or don't know? I don't think those prison swaps happened within a half months time, more like after at least a years time. I may be wrong but I feel there should be something that more discourages rather than incourages them.:|

That is not how it works. It is more important to get your guys out and find out what they know, and protect them. Also neither country (Russia or the US) would allow anyone with information that is a serious threat to national security get out. They know what these guys know, and they do the swap. If they knew something serious you bet they would still be held and questioned.

Another reason why they are not treated so harshly is because you have to think about your spies that are out in other countries. How would you want them treated if they are caught. It is not black and white like that. We the US are not innocent, we spy on everyone as well. So if we have a great "deterrent" against foreign spies, how do you think another country will treat our spies.

The spy business is not as glamorous as Hollywood makes it out to be. Most spies as a matter of fact are national citizens that are recruited.

Every country spies on one another, even our allies. It is a normal thing.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I never implied spying to be glamorous, rather the opposite. Its a dangerous business. Just because one country is nice to the spies it catches doesn't mean the other will be also. That's right up there with the Geneva convention. Just because we follow it doen't mean the other will. I do see your point however.

Well I just got back from Russia and now I have sample of their view of this situation. Answers I got from them seem to fall along the different age groups. The younger generation is making all kinds of fun about it. There are now a few kid pamphlets about spies and spying on the local news stands. Tongue and cheek stuff mostly. The average adult doesn't care. The older generation feels embarrased and can't believe the stupidity of those caught. So there you have it. The situation as seen from both sides.

:)

Probably true, VB. Most of what the younger-ish generations know about spying comes from "James Bond" and "Jason Bourne" movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back