SAS raid frees hostage aid workers in Afganistan (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Freebird

Master Sergeant
Nov 12, 2007
British Columbia
I heard this on the news today, SAS rescue in Afganistan

David Cameron sent SAS troops to free a kidnapped British aid worker yesterday after her captors demanded a £7

[Prime Minister] David Cameron said: 'It was an extraordinarily brave, breathtaking operation that our troops had to carry out. I pay tribute to their skill and dedication.'

Speaking outside No 10 Downing Street, the Prime Minister said the rescue should serve as a warning to terrorists across the world who targeted British citizens.

'They should know if they take British citizens as hostage we do not pay ransoms, we do not trade prisoners. They can expect a swift and brutal end.'

Who can expect a swift brutal end, the terrorists or the hostages? :shock: :confused:

(I was wondering, as I heard this on the radio :eek: )

At the risk of wandering into political territory here, I wonder if these "outreach" programs are just sending hostages into harm's way?
Drop supplies from the back of a C-47 at 5,000 feet, and if tribesmen start shooting at the aircraft, switch to dropping bombs instead. :p

So, is this the way things are going? Are we going to see more of this kind of operation to free pirate hostages in Somalia?

Anyways, glad to see that the rescue went well and didn't end up with all the hostages killed. 8)

Great job to the SAS.

I also never understood the aid worker thing. They are sent to help them because they are in need. They are trying to do something good for these people. Yet, they are always captured and killed. Stop sending them...

Spot on, SAS! :salute:

Send aid workers where they're both needed AND wanted. Not "or". If they're not wanted, you're just sending in gift-wrapped hostages. There are plenty of places around the world where their efforts will be greatly appreciated.

Problem is that the people who capture them are not the people in want of help. But there are several other civilians in the area who do not belong to the kidnappers. That's why they are send. But they'll need protection I guess.

Kuddo's on the SAS, nice job.

Good job SAS!

Thought I read somewhere that Delta Team 6 where involved as well (think on the BBC but can't find it now). Could of been a different mission though.

It says so in the link:
The elite British soldiers – backed by US Delta Force, American Navy Seals and Afghan troops – rescued Helen Johnston and three other hostages from a cave in a mission ordered by Mr Cameron.

Marcel hit the nail directly on its head. In Vietnam "Hearts and Minds" sent medical teams into the villages where people came from miles around for desparately needed medical help. Those same teams soon became prime targets for the VC and NVA as did USAID workers and missionaries. Michael Benge is probably the best known of these civilians who were none-the-less captured, killed, tortured, mistreated, denied medical treatment, and starved to the point of death all in an effort to stop any pro-American sentiment.
And by ALL means fantastic job SAS

There was a piece on the radio about the raid. The reports were that the hostages had been split into pairs and were being held in two caves before being moved on. The SAS went for the cave with the british hostages and the US forces went for the other. As it happened all the hostages were in the cave raided by the SAS but all the kidnappers in both caves were killed.

Full marks to both teams

These aid teams are targeted by the terrorist because they are effective at winning hearts and minds.

Making the whole country responsible as a whole for the murders by the terrorist is exactly the response the terrorist wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back