Saying Hello with a question (P-40M)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

backtothewind

Banned
Oct 17, 2008
Hi there guys,

Just thought I would post a couple of my latest models.

Tamiya Dewoitine D520

PB300073R.jpg

Hobby Boss Wildcat FM1

PB300085.jpg

But I am just about to start on the Italeri P 40M. I intend to finish the model as Kittyhawk IV of No. 80 Sqn RAAF.

I have managed to find the picture below that depicts the actual aircraft. My question is what is the significance of the lighter green circle that appears on both sides of the fuselage? Does any one have an idea of the colour it almost appears as an interrior green.The kit refers to it as Dk Green circle against an Olive Drab background, but I think this is a mistake.

Cleopatra.jpg

Welcome comments on the post.

Roger

Sorry mate, I don't know enough about the unit or the theatre to give an accurate assessment/opinion. But, I would guess that the 'circle' is where a previous code letter or similar has been overpainted, probably using what paint was available to the narest colour. For instance, it could be RAF Dark Green over O.D., which would account for the lighter tone. Looking at the photo, and the positioning of the overpainted area, it could well be that the original marking was a USAAF 'star in a circle' marking, or even a RAF roundel. Certainly looks like that's what it was. BTW, nice models and pics!

I would have to say the P 40 is not my favorite aircraft but it sure looks good at 1/48 scale. I am working on a P 40n myself.

Hi Amsel. I'm still looking for that colour scheme for you. I've found reference to a disruptive pattern, but that's it so far. I'm virtually sure I've got it somewhere, hopefully with pictures. I'll let you know soon as I find anything.
Terry.

I have enlarged the pic for you guys.Looking at the pic I agreed with Airframes the paint tonality was caused by overpaiting an old marking at the area with an another colour.

BTW Very nice models Backtothewind.Keep them comming.:D

Attachments

• Cleopatra III.jpg
    Cleopatra III.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 98
G'Day Roger. That P-40 is infact a P-40N not M. This a/c was the personal mount of W/C Geoff Atherton, CO of No. 80 squadron RAAF. The green circle is an over painted roundel, I believe the colour to be Foliage green.
I have also made this model (great kit!) but I didn't include the green disc.
HTH.
BTW nice models you've got there :cool:

Attachments

• 3612.JPG
    3612.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 3609.JPG
    3609.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 3614.JPG
    3614.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 3611.JPG
    3611.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 3613.JPG
    3613.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for the help guys and I appreciate the comments on the two models.:lol:

As for the P 40, these two pictures I found, show that I will need to replace the exhausts and the tyres from the ones supplied in the Italeri kit :( ............anyone got the phonenumber of UltraCast :p

CleopatraIII.jpg

80_Sqn_28OG175129.jpg

Roger

Now here's a problem. The Italeri box art and painting guide show the front end of the spinner as red as in Wildcats model, but these profiles I have just found show it as blue.

detail index

then profiles top left...... then P 40's in pacific ... second colomn 5 down

Which is correct?

It says I need authorization to see the profiles.

But just judging by the pictures, and without seeing what shade of blue the other profiles have, I would have to say red. Look at the first picture of the plane that you posted. The spinner colour's not even close the blue on the roundel.

EDIT: Also, take a look at these.

77775.jpg

Cleo.png

77764.jpg

All I did was desaturate one of the pictures or Wildcat's model. We know that he painted the spinner red, so we can compare it to the black and white photo of the actual plane. They look pretty darn close, don't they? I'm 100% sure the spinner is red.

I agree with Catch. I printed out your posted pic, and compared the tonal values under a 'dot' glass. I used a range from the (dark) blue of the roundel, through the green of the camouflage colour, and the name, which I'm guessing is yellow-outlined red, or plain red, to the spinner tip. Then I compared these with a neutral mid-tone. I very much doubt that spinner is blue; the tonal values suggest red.
Hope this has helped.
Terry.
(PS, at one time I was involved in photo interpretation, then in my later civilian career, I worked in the professional photography and the graphics divisions of a large photographic manufacturer, where the process described above was common practice.)

Guys thanks for that sound advice, I have downloaded the profiles I somehow got in the backdoor to these files

CleopatraIIIprofile.jpg

CleopatraIIIprofile2.jpg

you can see why there was confusion.

Roger

Guys thanks for that sound advice, I have downloaded the profiles I somehow got in the backdoor to these files

CleopatraIIIprofile.jpg

CleopatraIIIprofile2.jpg

you can see why there was confusion.

Roger

Backtothewind.The spinner on Cleopatra III is red.
I have a photo of a flight of 80 Sqn aircraft with Cleo. in the lead. It was B&W but the Govt. issued it as a coloured version. i.e. somebody 'painted in' the colours over the original B&W.
In it, the spinner is definately red.
What makes this a certainty is that the print I have came off the wall in the hallway of Geoff Athertons house.
(my father-in law was his executor, which is why I have it)
I doubt Geoff would have entertained the idea of keeping the print if it wasn't accurate.
Cheers,
Nifty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back