Sea Fury (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
The Hawker Sea Fury was a progression from the Typhoon and Tempest fighter designs and entered service early in 1945. It was one of the fastest piston-engined fighters of WW2.

The Sea Fury saw combat after WW2 in Korea, at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba (where several CIA B-26s were downed) and Burma.

The F 10 was armed with 4 x 20mm cannon. The FB 11 was armed with 4 x 20mm cannon and could also be fitted for rockets, bombs, and drop-tanks. The T 20 was a trainer, and all other models were export designations.

This example is an FB 11 of the Royal Australian Navy circa 1949.

FB11_Australia_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of the Royal Australian Navy circa 1952.

FB11_Australia_2.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of the Burmese Air Force circa 1958.

FB11_Burma_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 803 Squadron Royal Canadian Navy circa 1950.

FB11_Canada_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 871 Squadron Royal Canadian Navy circa 1952.

FB11_Canada_2.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 871 Squadron Royal Canadian Navy circa 1954.

FB11_Canada_3.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of the Cuban Air Force circa 1958.

FB11_Cuba_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of the Cuban Air Force circa 1959.

FB11_Cuba_2.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of the Cuban Air Force circa 1961.

FB11_Cuba_3.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of the Egyptian Air Force circa 1958.

FB11_Egypt_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 801 Naval Air Squadron circa 1951.

FB11_GB_801Sqn_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 802 Naval Air Squadron circa 1952.

FB11_GB_802Sqn_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 804 Naval Air Squadron circa 1951.

FB11_GB_804Sqn_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 805 Naval Air Squadron circa 1948.

FB11_GB_805Sqn_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 807 Naval Air Squadron circa 1951.

FB11_GB_807Sqn_1.jpg

This example is an FB 11 of 810 Naval Air Squadron circa 1954.

FB11_GB_810Sqn_1.jpg

This example is an F 1 of the Iraqi Air Force circa 1948.

FB11_Iraq_1.jpg

FB11_Iraq_2.jpg

FB11_Iraq_3.jpg

This example is an F 1 of the Moroccan Air Force circa 1978.

FB11_Morocco_1.jpg

This example is an F 50 of the Dutch Navy circa 1946.

FB11_Netherlands_1.jpg

This example is an FB 51 of the Dutch Navy circa 1947.

FB11_Netherlands_2.jpg

This example is an FB 60 of the Pakistan Air Force circa 1949.

FB11_Pakistan_1.jpg

This example is an FB 60 of the Pakistan Air Force circa 1949.

FB11_Pakistan_2.jpg

One of my favourite aircraft and for good reason.
Here's my dad hanging out of the cockpit of his.

LtRusling.gif

Taken at Bardufoss,Norway,when 801 Squadron were on excersise up there. They spelt his name wrong which used to make us laugh! It should be Sub Lt. Rusling.....no T :)

Cheers
Steve

Really a stunning plane; your's truly has voted for it in the 'Pinnacle of the prop-driven planes' poll. Too bad it entered service just after the ww2 ended.

Great stuff Clave....
I used to hang out with Russ Francis, #81 SF 49r's, and he had one of these in the Aussie markings.
Big birds!

Thanks for the nice comments :)

I had a commission to do a Sea Fury and these all came from that. I also have a commission for a Bearcat, so expect another ultra-fast prop before too long...

Thanks for the nice comments :)

I had a commission to do a Sea Fury and these all came from that. I also have a commission for a Bearcat, so expect another ultra-fast prop before too long...

Aw gee, what a shame, he says with tongue in cheek. Can't get enough of your work mate!

One of my favourite aircraft and for good reason.
Here's my dad hanging out of the cockpit of his.

LtRusling.gif

Taken at Bardufoss,Norway,when 801 Squadron were on excersise up there. They spelt his name wrong which used to make us laugh! It should be Sub Lt. Rusling.....no T :)

Cheers
Steve

Dear Steve, do you know what ship your dad was embarked upon then and what year. If it coincides with my dad...then NAPM Douglas Clarke would have known your father.
Graham

If it was 801 sqn, then Im thinking the Glory

Then the likelihood that that is my Dad's name displayed is quite high. I'll have to check a few things but he did do three tours in Korea on the Glory. But there were other Clarkes no doubt...thank you for the pointer. I'll report back if I find out anything significant.

High Nobby and good to hear from you.

From my dad's log books I can see that 801 Sqn. flew from Lossiemouth to Lee (on Solent) on 28th October '53 before joining Glory on 4th November.

They spent the next few months in the Mediterranean either onboard Glory or, briefly, at Hal Far (Malta) before returning to Lee in February '54. I think they were happy to be away from the UK in November, my father describes this time on the top of a page of his log book as 'Med. Cruise' !

IMG_1311_zps1a73f2af.gif

If your father was with Glory for that 'cruise' then there is a very high chance it's his name. Clarke with an e is not the most common spelling is it?

That was the only time my father spent aboard a carrier whilst flying fixed wing aircraft. He transferred to 705 Squadron (Helicopter Conversion Unit) in January '55 and continued his career flying helicopters.

That photo was taken at Bardufoss in Norway sometime in late September '54. 801 Squadron were taking part in an exercise 'Polar Mist' in conjunction with other NATO forces. They flew up to Bardufoss from Ford via Valkenberg, Stavanger and Trondheim. They were back at Ford on 1st October.

Cheers

Steve

If it was 801 sqn, then Im thinking the Glory

Looking further on the www, I came accross Steve's entry on 'Scale-Models' forum...'1/72 Hawjer Sea Fury T-20 two seater trainer.
I note there is some confusion as to the acronymic meaning of NAPM, but I also see an entry from Sweb.
Sweb has made an entry and writes..."Are the initials N.A.R.M. or N.A.P.M.? Looks like the latter to me. I'm thinking the "P" is for Plane(?). US Navy and Marines call them Plane Captains so the use of the word Plane seems logical."
I don't have CPO D.Clarke's records to hand, but I know he was a crew-chief, and would have more than likely have been an AA.5 or AA.6 then. I know my mother said that at the time he was the youngest crew-chief in the Fleet Air Arm, but until I can fill in all the gaps, even on his naval record, I'm at a loss to be certain as his actual trade title or actual rank.
Thanks once more for your input...it has helped enormously.
I only hope Steve sees this and can be of some help.
Cheers...Aye.
Graham

High Nobby and good to hear from you.

From my dad's log books I can see that 801 Sqn. flew from Lossiemouth to Lee (on Solent) on 28th October '53 before joining Glory on 4th November.

They spent the next few months in the Mediterranean either onboard Glory or, briefly, at Hal Far (Malta) before returning to Lee in February '54. I think they were happy to be away from the UK in November, my father describes this time on the top of a page of his log book as 'Med. Cruise' !

IMG_1311_zps1a73f2af.gif

If your father was with Glory for that 'cruise' then there is a very high chance it's his name. Clarke with an e is not the most common spelling is it?

That was the only time my father spent aboard a carrier whilst flying fixed wing aircraft. He transferred to 705 Squadron (Helicopter Conversion Unit) in January '55 and continued his career flying helicopters.

That photo was taken at Bardufoss in Norway sometime in late September '54. 801 Squadron were taking part in an exercise 'Polar Mist' in conjunction with other NATO forces. They flew up to Bardufoss from Ford via Valkenberg, Stavanger and Trondheim. They were back at Ford on 1st October.

Cheers

Steve

Dear Steve, Thank you for your reply (it seems we've just cross-posted).
It is indeed an honour to speak with someone who's father may have know anothers' accross the misty distances of time.
From your dad's log there is a very very high chance that they knew each other.
Please allow me some time to check further and I'll put together a summary of my father's record.
Once more, even if it turns out not to be the case....I thank you and it is a great pleasure to speak to you. Especially with the Glory and 801 connection.
Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back