Season's Greetings, Fellow WW2Aircraft Dot Netters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Everyone.

Yup, it's been a crap year and it doesn't look like it'll get better anytime soon, but I would like to extend a personal thanks to all of you for helping me keep sane through what has been trying times.

Now, in another thread there's been some accusations thrown around about bias and stuff, so I'd like to extend an olive branch to all sides in celebration of the very subject we gather here to discuss at length. This concerns one of the forum's favourites/favorites, the North American P-51 Mustang, an aeroplane/airplane born of two very different parents, but grew to becoming one of the very best there ever was.

As we here know, the Mustang was built to a British requirement and, for US members in particular, the decision to put the Merlin in it was made by the British first and was done in Britain first by Rolls-Royce with the intent of supplying Merlin engined Mustangs to the RAF. There was even a plan to build the airframe under licence in the UK, by Gloster, with engines supplied by Rolls-Royce, another plan in exchange was that Bell was to build the Hawker Typhoon under licence, with Sabre engines supplied by a US manufacturer, and even the possibility of an R2800 powered variant of the type.

Anyway, back to the P-51, in the spirit of co-operation, throughout 1942 there was extensive letter writing between the interested parties, NAA, Rolls-Royce, Packard, the USAAF at Wright Field, the British Air Ministry, the British Embassy in Washington DC, the US Embassy in London, etc and the tone in general of the letters was quite upbeat. Here's an example taken from the exceptional book Rolls-Royce and the Mustang by David Birch - a must-have for every P-51 enthusiast. This letter was written by Philip Legarra of NAA to W Lappin of Rolls-Royce and is dated 26 June 1942 and although short reflects the mood of the correspondence:

"Dear Mr Lappin, You did spell my name correctly. Thank you very much for the Pilot's Notes on your 2 engines. [NAA representative L.B.] Bouchelle has already left for the States, but I will forward this to him. I called in at [the Rolls-Royce plant] Hucknall on Wednesday of this week, and am very pleased with the progress that has been made. However, there is bound to be a certain amount of trouble in such an installation, and the major one at present seems to be the fuel system - but I'm sure that can be taken care of. We have been receiving many enquiries about this proposed installation [putting the Merlin in the Mustang], and I agree with you that the airplane will have a bright future.

Yours sincerely,

P.H. Legarra North American Aviation."

Season's Greetings Everyone.

44528314560_2cb2c821fa_b.jpg
Mustang

"Sired by the English out of an American mother..." a quote by Maj Thomas Hitchcock, USAAC , Assistant Military Attache, October 8th, 1942.

First Grant, what's this "sane" thing ?
I know I'm (now) sane, as I have a certificate to prove it (only joking - I think.) !!
Happy Christmas ( or whatever suits the PITA PC crowd) to all my adopted "family" here, and I wish you all, and your families, a special time, a great New Year, and hope that 2022, and following years become stable and peaceful across the World.

Now, where can I get a can of self-heating Baked Beans for Christmas dinner ??!!

Terry, may I suggest that the beans be paired with a nice Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, the one with the bouquet of an aboriginal's armpit. 1968 vintage.

To all, a very Merry Christmas and to those who don't celebrate it, thanks for helping to brighten my year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back