Shark Mouth Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another one
Messerschmitt Bf 109 E .jpg

With the English Do17 salvage project going on, here's a rare treat...

A Bulgarian Airforce Do17 assigned to the 1./5. BO (Bomb Group) circa 1941...wish I had a bit more history on this. Might have to do a little digging around and see what I come up with.

Do17-Ka1-BG_1-5BO-1941.jpg

With the English Do17 salvage project going on, here's a rare treat...

A Bulgarian Airforce Do17 assigned to the 1./5. BO (Bomb Group) circa 1941...wish I had a bit more history on this. Might have to do a little digging around and see what I come up with.

View attachment 235597

Don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a former Yugoslav Do-17K. It's known fact that surviving Yugoslav aircraft captured by the Germans were in many cases handed to their allies. Or Bulgarians could have captured this one themselves. Third Bomber Regiment of RYAF equipped with Do-17Ks was operating in southern Serbia and Macedonia during the April War.

You know after seeing ALL these planes, many from different era's, I still think that the P-40 and the A-10 are the only two planes that actually NEED the shark mouth on it. And by "need" I mean they wear it best lol. Great shots everyone.

Don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a former Yugoslav Do-17K. It's known fact that surviving Yugoslav aircraft captured by the Germans were in many cases handed to their allies. Or Bulgarians could have captured this one themselves. Third Bomber Regiment of RYAF equipped with Do-17Ks was operating in southern Serbia and Macedonia during the April War.
I did find some numbers regarding the RYAF Do17s, they were the Do17K and out of the 60 units, 20 were the Do17K-A2. There was also the Do17K-B2 but I haven't seen how many they had in total. Aparently, there were also 50 licensed Do17Ks built in Yugoslavia. All the Dorniers were assigned to the 63rd and 64th Bomber Group of the 3rd Bomber Regiment. After Germany attacked Yugoslavia, most were destroyed or captured, with seven escaping to Greece and two to Egypt (that served in the RAF as AX706 and AX707). There is also evidence that two escaped to the Soviet Union, too.

Bulgaria had purchased the Do17M and Do17P but were given 15 former RYAF Do17K-B1 aircraft after the fall of Yugoslavia to German forces. The one pictured above is, in fact, a former RYAF Do17K-B1 but I haven't found out where they were stationed. My guess would have been at the large airbase at Plovdiv that shared both Luftwaffe and Bulgarian operations, but like I said, this is just a guess.

This bird just happened to be passing by our town so we quickly got a shot of it. :) Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the middle picture?

Attachments

• NFN3.jpg
    NFN3.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 166
  • NFNwithcobra.jpg
    NFNwithcobra.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 158
  • NFN4.jpg
    NFN4.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread