Sharpies as a panel line "highlighter"? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, All,
As I sit here removing black Sharpie from furniture (over excited 5 yr old), it hit me.... can Sharpie be used as an undercoat for panel lines? Has anyone ever tried this? I am assuming it will not work due to the fact that you can actually remove Sharpie with a dry erase marker (the 5 yr old will learn to rejoice in that fact some day when he can grasp the concept of long, slow, beatings better - :p ). I am assuming enamels will "dissolve" Sharpie ink. However, that may not be such a bad thing. That could dampen the "highlighting" yet still make for a subtle finish enhancement. Am I making sense at all? I think the fumes are getting to me.
Dale

I've not tried what you suggest but I have used .2mm artist's ink pens for making cockpit placards and such and they work well provided you let the ink fully dry.

I used a sharpie in the panels lines "ONCE". I thought a day was sufficient drying time. Six coats of brush painted acrylic Azure Blue later, it looked ok. Maybe do a drying time test on the inside of a wing or some other plastic piece first.

Geo

Last edited:
I was wondering the same myself so I found a guy on youtube who was using FABER CASTELL artist pens on panel lines. I decided to try this on my Spit XIV . it should be done soon so you guys can be the judge on whether it works or not. Jim

If you want a quick professional looking thing to it, just use reguler 0.5mm led pencil and cover the panel lines before or after, I usually use it after if the plane needs minor weathering, if you do it before you need a very light coat over it, almost just a spray of the airbrush, like -psh psh and thats it.

I'll get some pics up soon in my I-16 build and I'll try to show it off, since I'm using very little weathering on it.

Now that's funny Paul, mine makes the same noise...
I had looked at one that goes I-watta-watta, but it was way too expensive at the time.

Mine makes Badger noises, thats why I was like psh psh lol :D it might be a bit of a foreign noise to Pasche owners :S

Man, you guys just crack me up. All I know, is after an evening of spraying in a closed room, my Paasche makes veeeerrryyyy sexy sounds at me. It is either the brush or the dog is stoned on fumes.
Dale

I put a plastic trash-bag over my head and the model while wearing a head-lamp; no need to waste the best part of the toxic paint. :)

I was wondering the same myself so I found a guy on youtube who was using FABER CASTELL artist pens on panel lines. I decided to try this on my Spit XIV . it should be done soon so you guys can be the judge on whether it works or not. Jim

Sad....over five years and the panel lines still haven't dried

Users who are viewing this thread

Back