Short Stirling Mk.V, 46 Sqn RAF.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Kirby.
Not got much further yet, as I've been running around getting domestic stuff done today. I have to go out this evening to take some photos for a friend, but should get back to it tomorrow, and hopefully make some good progress.

Thanks chaps.
Working on the final interior bits and pieces now, and should get the fuselage joined either tonight or tomorrow morning, and start on filling and blending the resin parts - pics soon.

Got the interior finished, such as it is, and the fuselage joined, with the resin nose and tail sections fitted.

PICS 1 to 3. Cockpit area scratch-built and painted. The instrument panel decal came from the Italeri kit, as I'll be using an Eduard colour PE part for that build. It's very basic, but should look acceptable under the heavily framed canopy.
PIC 4 Fuselage joined, and taped until set.
PICS 5 and 6. The extreme nose and tail were left open, to facilitate the fitting of the resin parts.
PIC 7. The upper fuselage joint developed a slight step, due to the turret 'plug' pushing up one side, so this has been cemented on the outside, and will be sanded flush later.
PIC 8. The resin tail fairing in place, with just a minor gap to fill.
PIC 9. The inner face of the resin nose was given a rough coat of Cockpit Grey Green, as the white surface would just be visible under the instrument panel.

Further pics to follow in the next post .......

Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 041.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 043.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 048.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 054.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 055.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 058.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 067.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 061.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 062.JPG

The resin nose and the bomb bay doors have been fitted, and the next job is to fill the gaps and the turret 'plug', and sand flush.

PICS 1 to 3. The resin nose section was attached using CA adhesive, and again, there are only relatively minor gaps to fill and sand flush.
PICS 4 and 5. The first shot shows the open bomb bay, which, on the real aircraft, was huge, being 42 feet long. The kit provides separate doors for an open bay, and a one-piece section for closed doors, the latter being used here.
PIC 6. How things look so far, with the MM paint jar giving some idea of the size. Even in 1/72nd scale, the Stirling is a big model.

I'm hoping to get all the joints and the turret 'plug' filled, filed and sanded tomorrow, along with that upper fuselage joint, before moving on to the remainder of the kit construction stages.

Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 068.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 069.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 070.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 071.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 074.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 073.JPG

Those small nose gaps look bigger because of the photo, ... I'm sure they'll look good. It will be interesting to see the result.

:thumbup:

Thanks chaps.
The cockpit looks a bit rough in the brutal macro shots, and is very basic in the added detail, but looks OK to the naked eye, and, as Robert noted, it does look acceptable under the canopy.
Yes Luis, those gaps are smaller than they look in the photos.

I've now got the 'step' in the fuselage joint sorted, and about to start on the turret 'plug' and resin parts joints, using 'Milliput' to fill and blend these into the fuselage contours.
All being well, I should have some pics later tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back