Signed up yesterday, gone today

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like one of my DIs used to say:
There's a time to talk, a time to listen, and a time to shut the f*ck up.
Guess what time it is?
Some folks never learned to tell time I guess...

All of this is directed at the original poster. It is quite easy to find some place not to your liking and go elsewhere. It is cowardly to take a cheap shot on the way out. But if you were looking for a moderator or admin to apologize to you or beg you to come back, you are sorely mistaken.

Sometimes, preconceived notions on your heroes can get dashed when facts come up. Get over it.

Ken, 60% of all newer members have taken a beating from me in the past, so dont kid urself into thinking ur special...

This guys special...
32181.gif

Good one Les, another chuckle. Guy better get another job somewhere.

Didn't they surrender before the French?
Yeah, Germans attacked us first. By the way Holland is not as big as your USA, it's only about 150 km wide, so not much time to set up a defence if you're suprised by the enemy. This little army of civilians fought like hell those 5 days with guns dating from 1870 and with biplanes and nowhere to run to against the Wehrmacht, which even took the mighty US army 3 years to defeat. So please no comments like that on this little country, will you?

I take it back. I'm actually part dutch, so it wasn't meant seriously. Nobodies as bad as France. Period.

Yeah, Germans attacked us first. By the way Holland is not as big as your USA, it's only about 150 km wide, so not much time to set up a defence if you're suprised by the enemy. This little army of civilians fought like hell those 5 days with guns dating from 1870 and with biplanes and nowhere to run to against the Wehrmacht, which even took the mighty US army 3 years to defeat. So please no comments like that on this little country, will you?

Marcel, no offense intended. It was a slight slight (if there is such a thing).

But it was also a fact, not a dig. The Dutch did fall before France. If that was due to happenstance of Geography, insubstantial armaments or bad planning, it does not change what constitutes history. I can not, and will not be changed. Unfortunate? Yes. But we can't change history to reflect only those things that don't annoy us. It's been tried before and it failed miseable.

Again, no offense. Been to Holland, like the place. Another place with great beer. :)

Marcel, no offense intended. It was a slight slight (if there is such a thing).

But it was also a fact, not a dig. The Dutch did fall before France. If that was due to happenstance of Geography, insubstantial armaments or bad planning, it does not change what constitutes history. I can not, and will not be changed. Unfortunate? Yes. But we can't change history to reflect only those things that don't annoy us. It's been tried before and it failed miseable.

Again, no offense. Been to Holland, like the place. Another place with great beer. :)
Okay, no hard feelings here :) You're right history is what it was, I just wanted to make sure people see it in the right perspective :)

Marcel. Most do not judge by nationality but by the person involved. This is a rough old world. Better to take some knocks and dish some back to be some ones door mat. The Dutch during WW2 suffered greatly. most in this forum who have either military background or historical back ground know this as did the french. but what i think with the French is there ilogical Gallic Logic which annoys the **** out of most people in the world. But individually people are people even the French. Just some of their ideas need an enema and as for your country man who come and went like so much French sausage down a dogs throat. he needs to grow a little and quickly

At least the French stop the fight when it's obvious they can't win the war ...

:)
Kris

Maybe maybe not Kris. One does not stop fighting against tyranny all together. Fighting can take many forms not just huge armies slugging it out on a battlefield somewhere. As for the example of the European Resistance Movements in various European Countries during WW2. They didn't stop fighting just because their individual countries were occupied by the Germans during WW2

Maybe maybe not Kris. One does not stop fighting against tyranny all together. Fighting can take many forms not just huge armies slugging it out on a battlefield somewhere. As for the example of the European Resistance Movements in various European Countries during WW2. They didn't stop fighting just because their individual countries were occupied by the Germans during WW2
I sure you can get some NKoreans to buy into that philosophy

At least the French stop the fight when it's obvious they can't win the war ...

:)
Kris

Take the Britt's for instance….. they fought the Germans tooth and nail willing to take it to the bloody stumps. The Battle of Britain was a meat grinder in the air.

They chose to fight….. and fight they did! The fascists never set foot on that island. They chose not to give up and be raped and pillaged by a tyrant and the Imbeciles that followed him!

The French on the other hand decided to rely on the theory that an inferior fortification "Maginot Line" would hold back the advancing Germans. Not only are the French not to smart but they also chose to lift up their skirt and take it from behind from the Germans!

Panty waist French! They needed to take lessons from the Britt's.

They are not worthy of respect.

Yak thats a bit harsh. You know not all Frenchmen and women chose that. They fought tooth and nail inside France to free France. Just the Leaders of France who capitulated and threw up their hands to surrender to the Germans. As Napoleon said there isn't bad soldiers just bad generals who cocked it up for the French and considering what the French People had gone through in WW1 with the belief in the Maginot Line its not surprising really that the French Govt fooled itself in believing static defences would impede an advancing army. Germans made same mistake with their Atlantic Wall being inbreachable as it turned out neither was. Patton himself virtually said that any man made obstruction made by man was never built not to withstand sustained attack etc and an army could defeat such fortifications etc. I am not defending the French but remember many a French man and woman died in the Resistance Movements and many a French man and woman lost family to the Germans for various reasons or another and those same French men and women gave their lives in protecting down allied airmen from capture by the Germans. Not all the French did this but many did Yak

Yak thats a bit harsh. You know not all Frenchmen and women chose that. They fought tooth and nail inside France to free France. Just the Leaders of France who capitulated and threw up their hands to surrender to the Germans. As Napoleon said there isn't bad soldiers just bad generals who cocked it up for the French and considering what the French People had gone through in WW1 with the belief in the Maginot Line its not surprising really that the French Govt fooled itself in believing static defences would impede an advancing army. Germans made same mistake with their Atlantic Wall being inbreachable as it turned out neither was. Patton himself virtually said that any man made obstruction made by man was never built not to withstand sustained attack etc and an army could defeat such fortifications etc. I am not defending the French but remember many a French man and woman died in the Resistance Movements and many a French man and woman lost family to the Germans for various reasons or another and those same French men and women gave their lives in protecting down allied airmen from capture by the Germans. Not all the French did this but many did Yak

:shock:
It is not harsh. It is stark reality. The Germans knew that we would make it into and thru "fortress Europe" the Germans were not that stupid. That is why they tried to beef up the areas that they thought we were going to hit.

Do you know why we made it thru??? It is because we were not going to give up no matter what! We had shear determination and the Germans had a tactic called "Blitzkrieg".

In both of those ideals "surrender" is not part of the program. A few good people do not make a good army or country for that matter.

Geographically speaking I liked France. But that is where it stops! " Cheese eating surrender monkeys"

Patton also said that it is better to die on a field of honor than to surrender.

The comment "it's was the governments fault" is a cheap scapegoat! They are still thinking that way today.

I am not defending the French Govt by any means. But one the French people still continued to fight even though their leaders gave up Yak seemingly you take no notice of the fight the French People did inside France and the assistance they gave to Allied Servicemen and Women. France did not surrender during WW1 to the best of my knowledge. French Troops had worse leaders then the British did during same war and yes the French did refuse to fight under circumstance due to high casuality rates on the Western Front during WW1 but again this was down to bad leadership not up to indidvidual units of the French Army. But even the British Army had mutinies in WW1 and it was the best kept secret of the war. And British desertion rates were extremely high during the first battle of the Somme another secret kept. So think again Yak

And as for the Atlantic Wall in Normandy. It wasn't as easy to breach that wall as you are referring to. Well seemingly to the troops it wasn't. Now ask yourself this question. Were the Germans Silly enough to attack the Maginot Line head on? Knowing full well it would have cut them to pieces. And the Germans didn't know precisely where the Allies were going to attack either Yak. Whether it be at Normandy or Pas De Calais or even in Norway let alone France. Ask yourself another question. Why didn't Hitler attack Switzerland? And no it wasn't because of the financial system of banks. It was because the Swiss not only had terrain in their favour but had strong fortifications in place through the Alpine Region. And for another reason Yak. If it wasn't for the geographic reasons that saved England from invasion plus the RAF Fighter Command. England would surely have been over run like France Greece Belguim Holland Norway Denmark Poland and nearly Western Russia . With the exception of Russia and England. Those other countries were over run. Some had standing armies so to speak of, others didn't. Or are they just as gutless as you are referring to france as Yak?

And Yak do you expect me to believe that when the USA fought in Vietnam and Korea that the ideals of victory in both those wars was seen through. Not just on the Battlefields but politically as well. The US led Allies won every battle in Vietnam but were unsuccessful in winning the war. And Korea was a stalemate which we still have today. Mistakes were made in Somalia by US Forces underestimating the Somalia Militia Men and gunmen of Warlords in that country. And now we have the War in Iraq with bumbling politicans on both sides of US Govt and other Allied Govts including my own making mistakes but not only in Iraq but also Afghanistan. Thank god for the Troops who mostly know whats going on. And all this is stark reality to Yak. I wonder how a Frenchman reading your comments would feel and updating some stark realities of his own towards you.

Patton was the last one to talk Yak. He got killed in an every day car accident. So claiming what he said in retrospect is pointless about dying on a battlefield etc

If you are to cast stones like you are doing Yak at france in the last war. Some one is going to point out some of your own country's shortcomings. better to come from an Ally then an enemy Yak. And I am not trying to offend any one from the US. But your own country does have some shortcomings of its own, as all countries do Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back