Silly phrases in foreign languages (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I liked it when they printed the calendar on the sleeve of the pack. It was handy. Now you just get these second-hand smoke facts, and warnings printed all over the outside of the pack. What a waste of ink. Did they really think that would deter Nova Scotians from smoking? Pffffffff! :rolleyes:

;)

Je souis roi de'ez a pinque
:!:

Si çà c'est du français, je veux bien être pendu!

In all that sentence, only two words are recognizable ("je" and "roi"), the rest is gibberish.

And, BTW,
Je ne parlais pa francais (Froggyeater):
means - more or less - that you don't speak French (which is self evident) and that the term "Froggyeater" (and its derivatives such as "frog", "frenchfrog" or "froggy") is a racist slur mostly used by Anglos (British or Canadians) towards Francos (French or Québécois).

If the rest of your "translations" are along the same lines, I would not hire you as a translator at a peace conference; you would probably start WWIII by noon!:shock:

hubbabubba said:
:!:

Si çà c'est du français, je veux bien être pendu!

In all that sentence, only two words are recognizable ("je" and "roi"), the rest is gibberish.

And, BTW, means - more or less - that you don't speak French (which is self evident) and that the term "Froggyeater" (and its derivatives such as "frog", "frenchfrog" or "froggy") is a racist slur mostly used by Anglos (British or Canadians) towards Francos (French or Québécois).

If the rest of your "translations" are along the same lines, I would not hire you as a translator at a peace conference; you would probably start WWIII by noon!:shock:
I already excused for that Froggyeater, I'm sorry directly to you, it was a joke that you can not understand 'cause you haven't been long enough here.

And you're right, I don't speak French. ;)

'Tang ina walang naiintindihan sakin... nakakamura naman ako sa Tagalog at wala naman ang maiintindihan sakin

Well Pisis!
I already excused for that Froggyeater, I'm sorry directly to you, it was a joke that you can not understand 'cause you haven't been long enough here.

And you're right, I don't speak French.

As we say in French; "Faute avouée est à-moitiée pardonnée" (Admitted fault is half-excused).

As for myself, I don't speak Czech, so consider that we're even;)

And you're right about one thing; I haven't been here very often, Yesterday I received an e-mail telling me that my registration to that forum would be terminated if I did not showed some sign of life!!! I can't even remember why I signed in to begin with!!!:?:

But it's a good thing in a sense. There's never too much sources of informations about WWII aircrafts. BTW, if you are an expert on Erich Hartmann - or know someone who is - let me know and I will consider you fully excused:)

I speak basic spanish, basic arabic, and a very basic framework klingon.

I also understand many romance languages when written, because of my training in classical latin.

hubbabubba said:
Well Pisis!
But it's a good thing in a sense. There's never too much sources of informations about WWII aircrafts. BTW, if you are an expert on Erich Hartmann - or know someone who is - let me know and I will consider you fully excused:)
Try in another section - we have some Luftwaffe Experten here.

Filipino slam, two words sa and akin
I'm saying that nobody can understand what i was saying
"walang nakakaintindi sa akin" in correct Filipino

I wonder what correct Filipino might be, as I have not encounterd such (yet). Filipinos seem to use their language very flexible. Sometimes in a way that makes it for foreigners almost non-understandable.
Filipino as a language is also not realy existing per se, but is an "enforced" (high) language that actually origins from a small part of Luzon Island (Rizal or the area around Quezon City), where it was and still is spoken: "Tagalog". All other regions have more or less their own regional languages or dialects (Cebuano, Ifugao, Mindanao etc.). A bit like in every other bigger country also, where one variety is chosen or evolved to be the "high-language".

But nowerdays Filipino orthography is (to me!) like the german "Rechtschreibreform". A total neglectence of the origin of words and phrases. Sometimes the origin of the word gets twisted, like "house" (from English) now also spelled "haus" (as in German). Maybe this is or was wanted for nationalistic? reasons, I don't realy know.

Worse is only the conversational "Taglish", which is neither one (Tagalog) nor the other (English) langauge, but a "convinient" mix (for some folks).

This is only my opinion... No offence ment, (especially to you, Looma!), just how it appears (to me).

Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

@Pisis,
in your very first post in this thread you wrote:
Grüss Gott, wie geht's? Ich bin ganz OK.
What do you see so silly in that?
•"Grüss Gott!" is a regional (south german/ austrian) way of saying "Guten Tag!". What would realy be silly is, if you would reply to that with: "Wenn ich ihn sehe!" (As soon or if I see him [god]).
•"Wie geht's" is just short for "Wie geht es dir/Ihnen/euch?" or "How do you do?".
•"Ich bin ganz ok" is just a bit slanggy for "Mir geht es (ganz) gut" or "I'm (quite) fine!"

In northern Germany (where "Platt" or "Friesisch" is spoken) they say "Moin!" or "Moin, Moin" (morning) the whole day, while elswhere in Germany they usualy would distinguish "Guten Morgen/ Tag/ Abend!". And only in Hamburg you can expect a reply "Hummel, Hummel!" (Hummel [literarly] = bumble bee) to a given "Moin, Moin!".

Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

@Pisis,
in your very first post in this thread you wrote:
Grüss Gott, wie geht's? Ich bin ganz OK.
What do you see so silly in that?
•"Grüss Gott!" is a regional (south german/ austrian) way of saying "Guten Tag!". Really silly would be if you would reply to that with: "Wenn ich Ihn sehe!" (As soon or if I see him [god].)
•"Wie geht's" is just short for "Wie geht es dir/Ihnen/euch?" or "How do you do?".
•"Ich bin ganz ok" is just a bit slanggy for "Mir geht es (ganz) gut" or "I'm (quite) fine!"

In northern Germany (where "Platt" or "Friesisch" is spoken) they say "Moin!" or "Moin, Moin" (morning) the whole day, while elswhere in Germany they usualy would distinguish "Guten Morgen/ Tag/ Abend!". And only in Hamburg you can expect a reply "Hummel, Hummel!" (Hummel [literarely] = bumble bee) to a given "Moin, Moin!".

Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back