Snowbird Crash Kamloops BC

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like both occupants punched out before impact.

Snowbirds plane crashes after taking off in Kamloops, B.C.
It's sad news certainly. I wonder if the female ground staffer knew how to punch out. With only seconds to spare and the g's and fear building, ejecting must be something aerobatic pilots, themselves all highly experienced military pilots, train for regularly. If you gave me a brief walk through on how to get out I'm not sure that would suffice.

It is unfortunately. Public Affairs Officer, Captain Jenn Casey.

jen%20casey(1).jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/snowbirds-crash-jenn-casey-nova-scotia-kamloops-1.5574274

It's sad news certainly. I wonder if the female ground staffer knew how to punch out. With only seconds to spare and the g's and fear building, ejecting must be something aerobatic pilots, themselves all highly experienced military pilots, train for regularly. If you gave me a brief walk through on how to get out I'm not sure that would suffice.
She did eject, but without zero-zero ejection seats she didn't have much of a chance.

Ejection seat - Wikipedia

Looking at the videos of this accident, it looks like the zoom wasn't eased enough at the top to prevent a stall, like he was trying to do an "unloaded" wingover and some sudden increase in drag robbed him of the energy to complete the maneuver, causing an asymmetric stall and spin entry. Ejection was a bit late, probably outside the envelope of the relatively primitive seats in the Tutor. Does anybody know, does it have command or individual ejection? Perhaps the pilot was a bit too occupied with attempting a relight to react quickly enough to the incipient stall.
I stalled out of a wingover once in a Schweitzer 2-32. I was giving a girlfriend a joyride who liked whifferdils, but didn't like Gs, so we were doing unloaded wingovers when just at the top of one, almost weightless, with the ASI registering 5 knots under stall speed, I accidentally nudged the spoiler lock with my elbow, and they popped out, dumping us into a spin. A 2-32 spins about like a B52, ponderously, so recovery was no problem, and my girlfriend discovered a new passion of flight.

Last edited:
heard someone who analyzed the video and he thought there might of been a bird strike
Or a compressor stall for some other reason. There was a faint pop sound in the audio.
Do these things have auto ignition? Our turboprops did. If an uncommanded sharp drop in torque or N1 occurred and N1 was windmilling at a value that would support combustion, the ignitors would come on automatically. Feathering the prop or shutting off fuel would kill them.

Last edited:
Got acquainted with the team when sharing ramp space at Abbotsford 70-73 or so. A fun bunch who took themselves less seriously than...well, less than some others.

Just checked: the last Tutors were built in '66 so I wonder if fatigue life might have been a contributing factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back