some F35 info (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

butt-crack-041.jpg

Here's a question for yous....

Just how many F-35(-22) would they be able to swindle, dump, unload :)wink: :lol:), on to customers, if it wasn't for NATO?
How many actually buy these, or any of these, just because of that?

Just how many F-35(-22) would they be able to swindle, dump, unload :)wink: :lol:), on to customers, if it wasn't for NATO?

I would think quite a few in particular in Asia. China is offering the J31 for export and while I don't consider it to be equal to the F35 it is another type that might well have the edge over the F15/F16 which is common in the area. Which means to have the edge they will need aircraft in the F35 category. Whilst I would love them to buy the Typhoon there is no doubt that the F35 is the better multi role aircraft and most of those airforces can only operate one type.

"...Just how many F-35(-22) would they be able to swindle, dump, unload ( ), on to customers, if it wasn't for NATO?
How many actually buy these, or any of these, just because of that?"

I am not sure what point you are trying to make with this post, Lucky. NATO has a history of using US-developed and member licence-built aircraft ... are you suggesting that policy has failed NATO or impaired its effectiveness in any way? Sweden being a non-NATO country I don't find any surprise in the absence of Swedish platforms in NATO inventories.

The Czech Republic and Hungary both have the Gripen in their inventories and both nations are members of NATO.

Matter of fact, quite a few NATO members have non-NATO aircraft, like Hungary for example, which has mostly Soviet era (or more recent Russian Federation) combat and support aircraft.

Last edited:
I am a Brit and so dont naturally evangelise for the USA however if the vast majority of the free world relies on the USA for its ultimate guarantee of military deterrence for its military coordination and leadership and pulls out of all aspects of modern design in weaponry it is a bit twee to complain that the USA is "dumping" weapn systems on you. Make your own, buy Russian/Chinese or pay the price.

Last edited:
"...The Czech Republic and Hungary both have the Gripen in their inventories and both nations are members of NATO."

Good for them ... fine AC .... and these countries have been members of NATO since when? When NATO was flying F-86's, F-101's etc. these countries were flying Mig's and Sukoi's were they not?

The UK is a Major contractor in the F-35, is a major participant in the Typhoon and is at present hovering around the 2% of GDP military spending considered as a minimum (even by the UK itself) but committed to renewing Trident. The present situation of Brussels and the EU posturing and provoking Putin/Russia while spending close to zero on anything to defend itself against him is on the edge of ****ing stupid. Sorry maybe too much politics.

"...The Czech Republic and Hungary both have the Gripen in their inventories and both nations are members of NATO."

Good for them ... fine AC .... and these countries have been members of NATO since when? When NATO was flying F-86's, F-101's etc. these countries were flying Mig's and Sukoi's were they not?
Several former Warsaw pact nations joined NATO as soon as they were able, Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland, the Czech Republic, etc. in '99

Hungary has a blend of Soviet, Russian, French and of course, Swedish fighters while the Czech Republic has only imported the Gripen while using their native Avia manufactured combat aircraft otherwise. Poland on the otherhand, uses a combination of Soviet (Sukhoi and MiG) and U.S. (F-16) and Bulgaria is 100% Soviet era, ranging from the MiG-29 to the MiG-21bis.

It seems that NATO's ideology of integrating equipment across the board falls short in the realm of combat aircraft, as interchangeability between member airforces is virtually impossible.

It seems that NATO's ideology of integrating equipment across the board falls short in the realm of combat aircraft, as interchangeability between member airforces is virtually impossible.

I think that's a little harsh. I'm not saying NATO interoperability is a "done deal" but singling out countries that only recently joined and are still operating former Soviet equipment is not representative of the broad interoperability achieved by Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Italy and many others, not to mention the UK and Canada!

Don't get me wrong, I know many of the former Warsaw pact nations are having a tough time economically, so thier militaries are not going to be able to be cutting-edge.

Good example is Bulgaria, that is still operating the MiG-21 as I mentioned earlier...And technically speaking, this is a nation that holds strategic borders of Europe and you would think that NATO would step in and make sure that Bulgaria had state of the art defenses because of that.

Nations other than NATO with the F-35 on order

AUSTRALIA

Australia is slated to buy 100 F-35As, with the first jet to be delivered later this year. In April, Australia announced plans to buy 58 jets in addition to the 14 already ordered by 2018, with the total order completed 2023.

ISRAEL

Israel has ordered 19 F-35 jets and plans to order up to 75 jets in coming years. A second order could come later this year.

JAPAN
Japan announced in December 2011 that it was ordering 42 F-35 A-model jets and may order more in coming years. Japan is also building a final assembly and checkout plant for the jets.

SOUTH KOREA

South Korea has confirmed its plans to buy 40 F-35A jets to replacing its aging F-4 jets.

OTHER COUNTRIES

Singapore are among other countries that have expressed interest in the Lockheed fighter jet. Singapore is toting numbers of around 24. Ive also heard Taiwan may be interested, numbers uncertain

It is fair to say that nations able to afford this aircraft recognize its qualities in the air and a falling over themselves to buy it. The only ones that arent are those philosophically and doctrinally opposed to the west, and those unable to afford a/c with such a wide mission capability. Quality costs

"...The only ones that arent are those philosophically and doctrinally opposed to the west ..."

Sweden? France?

:)

Maybe opposed is a little strong Sweden is Neutral and likes to preserve some independence while France likes to be free to operate in its own way and keep an independent air industry.

JASDF examiners wanted to compare the F-35 with the Eurofighter in actual flights before their conclusion but the airframe was not available.
Yes, it was genuinely political decision to order.

:rolleyes:

Hey here is a novel idea for you Jan...

You don't like it, build your own military hardware. No one forces anyone to buy anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back