some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very interesting article you linked, Flyboyj - not necessarily the piggy-backing businessinsider.com blog post - but the actual PDF it's based on. I downloaded and attached it off of scribd to save everyone else the trouble.

f35chart.jpg

Attachments

• Operational-Assessment-of-the-F-35A.pdf
    325.9 KB · Views: 169
From an internal AF Source;

The current acceptable Mission Capable Rate (MC) established for the current USAF F-35 fleet operated under AETC (Air Education Training Command) is 60%. Right now the current average is 54.5%. The two bases I have data from is Luke and Eglin. The Eglin F-35s are running 41.2 MC, the Luke birds are running 60.6. Again, this is data from training units so I would expect the MC rates to be on the low side.

In comparison, F-16s under AETC operate between 79-83% with MC standard at 78%

It made an interesting comparison between the F-35 and F-22. I hadn't realized the F-35 is apparently more robust in its actual 'skin' noting:

"The skin for the F-35 is way ahead of that. You don't have to park these aircraft in hangars and you could even try and take your heel and dig it into the skin of the F-35 and it won't harm the plane."

For those decrying its payload capabilities....
The F-35B Just Got A Lot Deadlier

Imagine you're a radar operator in a country that has just declared war on the United States. Your country has been moving missiles and radars around on the ground, hoping to dodge American satellite cameras before you can get your shots off. You hear a whoosh overhead, a squadron of F-35s electronically surveying the landscape for appropriate targets to take out, and behind them, huge SM-6 missiles are flying at supersonic speeds to hit those targets. The F-35 has become a sort of fighter bomber hybrid.

"Aegis cruisers bring a weapons payload that you just couldn't fit on an airplane. We're talking about dozens and dozens of Standard Missiles, SM-6s, that can be targeted by airborne platforms at a much longer distance," said Col. George "Sack" Rowell.

According to the BBC, the Canadian government has NOT announced it's buying F/A-18E/F SuperHornets. What it has announced is the start of discussions with the US Govt and Boeing on the potential to buy those aircraft as an interim gap filler because the current Canadian F/A-18 fleet is unable to meet NATO and national defence commitments. Assuming the procurement does proceed, there will be a 5-year procurement process starting in 2017 to identify the final replacement for the F/A-18 fleet, with F-35 being one of the contenders...although not sure how that will play out given Canada's commitment to the F-35 programme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back