Some Spits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those are some real nice spits. What is it about the Siptfire that everyone seems to make them in mass quantities at a time? :oops:

For the answer look at the PR.XIX.

It epitomises everything that Reginald Mitchell dreamed that the original Spit airframe would be: speed,power and drop-dead gorgeous looks.

John Romaine summed it up very easily,he says that Merlin Spits are beautiful to fly,but the Griffon Spit is an altogether different beast.

He says there are very,very,very few aeroplanes that tell you what they do best and the Griffon Spit is one of them.
From the instant the engine starts,you are left knowing that this aeroplane wants to hunt and kill it's opponents.
He also says that the Griffon Spit reinforces the fact that any Spitfire can read the pilot's mind,something that is extremely rare amongst any aircraft.

Mark

Hello again all,

I got back from Timor a few months ago, so have finally got around to getting on with some fresh Spits!

Here are my latest 1/48 offerings of a Mk VII and Mk VIII from ICM. Great value kits, although they don't exactly fall together! I've tried my hand at weathering as well this time. I'm sort of happy with the overall result, but will go a bot easier next time I think.

First up the Mk VII - Sqn Ldr James O'Meara 131 Sqn RAF
413657[/ATTACH]"]
DSC_0070.jpg

413659[/ATTACH]"]
DSC_0073.jpg

413661[/ATTACH]"]
DSC_0071.jpg

Then the Mk VIII - Wg Cdr Bobby Gibbes 80 Wing RAAF

413663[/ATTACH]"]
DSC_0065.jpg

413665[/ATTACH]"]
DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

And finally, the complete line up so far (Mk 1(Early), Mk 1a, Mk LFVb, Mk Vc, Mk VII, Mk VIII, Mk IXc, Mk LFXVIe, Mk FRXIVe, Mk F22.
413668[/ATTACH]"]
DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

I have a XIVe (Hi-back) and an F24 on the go to join the line up in the next few weeks. Still a way off completing the major marks yet...!

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 53
very Nice!!

One correction ?...shouldn't Bobby Gibbes Spitty should be Green/Grey upper surfaces...
Hi Wayne. Gibbes certainly flew a grey / green MkVIII (the scheme carried on the Temora Spit), but I also believe that his earlier Spit (this one) was earth/ foliage green. The decal sheet was carpena and I found some profiles supporting the scheme (but no pics!) so I'm reasonably happy that it's correct as is - you never know though!:oops:

Steve

Hi again all! My latest addition to the 1/48 Spitfire line up. An Academy Spitfire XIVe, this time a high back belonging to 402 (City of Winnipeg) Sqn RCAF. That's 11 completed so far... approaching the halfway mark now I think:eek:

Had a bit of trouble with some of the decals on this one, with some silvering no matter what I did:evil: It's probably my own fault for being a cheapskate and using up leftovers from my spares box rather than investing in decent aftermarket ones...:oops:

Hope you like it.

Steve

DSC_0016_4.jpg

DSC_0015_4.jpg

DSC_0020_4.jpg

DSC_0022_4.jpg

DSC_0017_4.jpg

Those are beautiful spits! Your craftsmanship is outstanding. I'm not noticing any silvering on the last one though. On the underside?

Those are beautiful spits! Your craftsmanship is outstanding. I'm not noticing any silvering on the last one though. On the underside?

Hi John, thanks for the kind words. The silvering was mainly on the data decals and walkways etc which came from an old Airfix decal sheet. There seemed to be a varnish on top of the carrier film which came off with the decals and wouldn't completely disappear despite use of microsol and microset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back