Spitfire Colours in Africa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TheGonz

Airman
Sep 9, 2009
Middlesbrough
I'm almost ready to start with the base coat on one of my builds and am looking for some info on accurate colours for painting my Spitfire Vb in the North Africa colour scheme. I would like to try using the Model Air colours to save me thinning first, however my LHS stocks Tammiya so I have easy access to that if they are as good a match.

Any advice much appreciated.

Rob

Something like this. Brown and Matt Mid Stone. I know it's not RAF but just so you get the idea.

Attachments

• rhaf_spitfire_vc.jpg
    rhaf_spitfire_vc.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 468
Thanks B17, that pic will be helpful when masking for the camol. I'm actualy looking for the specific colours from the Model Air range or the Tammiya range though if anyone knows?

I'm wondering ...is there any difficulty in using Google and finding all the needed info?
I should do it the last time.

For the desert camo scheme of RAF planes in the North Africa were used paints :

1. Dark Earth - FS30118 - Humbrol 29,142, Tamiya XF52,Valejjo Air 029
2. Mid Stone - FS30266 - Humbrol 84, Tamiya XF60, Valejjo Air 031
3. Azure Blue - FS35231 - Humbrol mixture of 89+157, ratio 2:1, Tamiya X14+X18 , Valejjo Air 008

Wurger, your the man, thank you. I did use google, but I wasn't sure about the Tamiya colours as usualy they need to be mixed and a simple Dark Yellow just doesn't look right, the same with the Vallejo Air colours so I thought I would seek advice here. Thanks again.

Wurger, your the man, thank you. I did use google, but I wasn't sure about the Tamiya colours as usualy they need to be mixed and a simple Dark Yellow just doesn't look right, the same with the Vallejo Air colours so I thought I would seek advice here. Thanks again.

OK. You'r welcome.:)

In addition the4 red colour for spinners was called Dull Red - FS30109. But it seems that the Humbrol 153 looks better than Humbrol 180. Tamiya paint for the colour is XF7 but it should be make a little bit darker with the black paint XF1. Concerning Vallejo Air paint I think it should be a mixture of 039 and 003.

Last edited:
Have a set of Tamiya mixes forthe desert colours, slightly different from Wojtek's ...will find it and post tomorrow..along with a shot or two of a MkVIII Spitty in said colours....:D

Tamiya Colour Mix...

Dark Earth : XF-52 Flat Earth x 1 Part and XF-64 Red Brown x 1 Part.

Middle Stone : XF-59 Desert Yellow x 1 Part and XF-60 Dark Yellow x 1 Part.

Azure Blue : XF-2 Flat White x 10 parts and X-16 Purple x 2 Parts and XF-18 Medium Blue x 5 Parts.

and some pics using the above colours!:D

Attachments

• Desert Camo Spitfire_6392.JPG
    Desert Camo Spitfire_6392.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 952
  • Desert Camo Spitfire_6388.JPG
    Desert Camo Spitfire_6388.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Desert Camo Spitfire_6389.JPG
    Desert Camo Spitfire_6389.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 535
Gonz if you don't mind using enamels, white ensign do a great range includiing all WWII RAF colours, not too expensive and very quick in the post, especially in the UK.

My dirty spit painted with their range....

SL381572.jpg

Thats about the sweetest looking Desert spit I've ever seen Keith 8)

Hell Il change to enamels to get those colours - Gonna order some soon , whats the names of the colours you got?

Last edited:
Cheers lads :oops: It's not really that good Dan, it looks better in that pic than in the flesh/plastic!

I know I'm always bashing on about White Ensign, but I find their paint brilliant. I don't work for them, honest! :D

I used Dark Earth, Middle Stone, Azure Blue Dull Red on that spit.

Link here White Ensign Models (Click on Complete Catalogue)

They also do paint and accessories for ships and armour, but I think their main business is in the ship modelling world.

Just looking at their range again I see they've added a range of RAAF paints too, wasn't there the last time I ordered some paint from them!

Last edited:
Xtracrylix do a good range of well matched WW2 colours in acrylic. Iuse them and the WEM enamels. This is with Xtracrylix.
Sorry for crap photo.
Steve

Attachments

• Spit Vb trop.jpg
    Spit Vb trop.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 734
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but your picture was too big. I have resized it a little bit down.

BTW Nice Spifire Trop.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back