Spitfire MK Ia - DW-K BoB (Airfix 1/72)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes.... follow the advice. While at first it might feel crushing to have, what one thinks, is something negative said about one's work, in retrospect, comments giving will help one down the road in a future build. I have personally never witnessed anyone call someone harshly down for choosing the path they went and most comments are backed up with some sort proof.(I myself just learned the date of the changeover from spitfire metal seats to composite seats.) One thing I have learned since I've joined this site is to ask questions before the first piece is cut from the sprue. Lots of questions. There are some very knowledgeable people here (starting with the five above) who are more than happy to offer some sort of advice or history. I've seen some builds take up 4 or 5 pages before the model was started with advice, documents and photos being offered. Having rambled on just a tad too long, I would like to say, it looks very nice and I do prefer the spitfire in those colors.

Geo

HI Geo!
I really like to have comments like the ones I got in here.
And believe me, I do take them seriously.
I've done exactly what you've said, I've been asking questions here in another forums to make sure I got it right.

Some times pictures doesn't take justice to the work and lighting can be tricky. I've re-accent the preshading before doing the green but even though it doesn't show through as I wanted. I'm still mastering my airbrush, so every model is a learning.

Please keep the comments and critics! i love the them to make me to improve!
Cheers
Paulo

The 'normal' colour was bare aluminium, a greyish silver, but there is evidence of some aircraft in the BoB with what appears to be 'Sky' hubs.

Thanks mate!
That means if I want to keep it simple and safe I should paint it bare aluminium. Looking B&W photos is very hard to distinguish between an aluminium/greyish silver to a sky.
Cheers
Paulo

Hi all!

Here some photos to check the progress. This time I'm half the way with decalling.

Image.gif

Image3.gif

Image9.gif

Image2.gif

How you can se, I'm pretty happy with the big decals, no silvering and they have conformed very well into the fuselage and panel lines.
I used Future as decal solvent, it is easier to use, just place the decals in and after removing the water/humidity excess brush some future on top and on the sides, let it dry and that's it!

The following photos are to show the small stencils. They are a lot and they are small, but very well printed, you are able to read them all.

Image5.gif

Image1.gif

Image7.gif

Now, my biggest mistake, have a look on the lines on the upper wing, I should have put them prior to the roundels, I think the idea is to have the roundels located in between them (there is a gap in the lines). However, if you put the roundels following the gap they will be located too much inside the wing, which is wrong.

My question is: Does this line goes over the roundel or the roundel goes over the line? Depending what is correct the way I'll approach to correct it will be easier or more difficult. :rolleyes:

Image8.gif

Image4.gif

Now is just a matter to put all the zillion small stencils left to the underside :D

Image6.gif

That's it for while :cool:

Cheers

Paulo

Looking good. Don't worry about the 'walk' lines over the roundels - they can be very carefully cut and removed, or painted over by 'smudging' the paint. This will soften any mis-match of tone, and make it look like wear.

Looking good. Don't worry about the 'walk' lines over the roundels - they can be very carefully cut and removed, or painted over by 'smudging' the paint. This will soften any mis-match of tone, and make it look like wear.

That's exactly what I'll try to do!

And for the records, I made a huge mistake here, the roundels should be placed a little more inboard to the wing, basically the lines ARE correct, I should have positioned them first and them put the roundel to match the edges.

I'm so disapointed for such childish mistake! :(

Lesson learned for the next one.

Cheers

Paulo

Nice work. I must admit that at viewing the first few pics, I thought your Dark Earth had suddenly gone to Ocean Grey but then the later pics showed the brown again. Whew!

Re the decals, I still an FW 190 with the crosses on the upper wings in completely different locations so don't feel bad. Chalk it up to experience, laugh about it, and move on!

Nice work. I must admit that at viewing the first few pics, I thought your Dark Earth had suddenly gone to Ocean Grey but then the later pics showed the brown again. Whew!

Re the decals, I still an FW 190 with the crosses on the upper wings in completely different locations so don't feel bad. Chalk it up to experience, laugh about it, and move on!

Thanks mate!
That's exactly what I'll do!
Cheers

Thanks for the offer mate!
But I'll try to paint over it.
Cheers
Paulo

No worries mate!

As for the slight mistake, hell we all make those! I've made heaps, still have stored childhood models of a US Boston with up-side down fuselage star, Fw 190 with unevenly placed Balkenkreuz, etc etc!
Always learning... :)

My three cents here... if you haven't covered these decal markings with the clear gloss coat yet you may use a "soft" brush and warm water to soak them again. In a few minutes decals should be unstuck and ready for moving. So there shouldn't be any problem with correction of their locations using a thin brush. Of course you have to be very cautious and patient.

My three cents here... if you haven't covered these decal markings with the clear gloss coat yet you may use a "soft" brush and warm water to soak them again. In a few minutes decals should be unstuck and ready for moving. So there shouldn't be any problem with correction of their locations using a thin brush. Of course you have to be very cautious and patient.

The decals are covered with two coats of future!

I've managed to paint on the top of the roundel and I completed the missing lines.
Photos to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back