Spitfire MK Ia - DW-K BoB (Airfix 1/72)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good. Is there a specific reason you've used a metallic paint as a primer?

Hi

As a matter of fact yes!
metallic paints tends to "show" or "highlight" the faults easily, just it.
You can notice, even in this photo the line in front of the canopy.

Cheers

Paulo

Thought it might be for that reason. It can also re-act with 'solid' colours, causing migration of the metallic particles. It's normally best to restrict 'silver' to joints and seams. Correct any problem areas, then spray or brush overall with a light grey as a primer. This will give a better 'key', cover the small areas of metallic, and prevent migration into the finishing colours.

as terry says the silver or aluminum joints for mounting failures, (although I never do because of lack of cleanliness in my work) are also potential pitfalls and can be solved, for the primer I prefer the black as it gives me more game time to make the effects of wear.

at the moment a great job nice aluminum is the spit

Thought it might be for that reason. It can also re-act with 'solid' colours, causing migration of the metallic particles. It's normally best to restrict 'silver' to joints and seams. Correct any problem areas, then spray or brush overall with a light grey as a primer. This will give a better 'key', cover the small areas of metallic, and prevent migration into the finishing colours.

That's quite interesting, but I'm probably lucky because I have never experienced such issue.
Mayb it is because I only use acrilics and what you're saying maybe is more common when using enamels, just guessing!
Cheers
Paulo

Last edited:
Here some more updated photos:
Pre-sahding applied using Vallejo Black thinned with Tamiya X20A thinner and a little bit of retarder from Vallejo.
IMG_3488.gif

Under surfaces painted using XF21 Tamiya, a little bit of wethering was applied using the same colour mixed with XF2 White in very thin random coats.
IMG_3487.gif

That's it for now!
More to come soon!
Cheers
Paulo

Great work Paulo, though I think the panel lines are a bit heavy still. This isnt your fault, they are moulded very pronounced - one thing I wish companies would refrain from doing, especially as the technology exists for them to do them finer and more accurately.

I always try to picture the real aircraft at that distance when modelmaking, preferably going by photos, and very rarely are the panel lines so obvious at that distance, hence my grudge above...

Not to knock your work though, you're doing a fine job!

Hi all

Thanks for all the comments!

Here some more photos.

Undersurfaces masked off

IMG_3492.gif

And the brown applied, it is a mix of Tamiya paints (XF52 + XF62) in equal parts.

IMG_3494.gif

That's it for while since I'm waiting until tomorrow to mask and paint the green.

Cheers

Paulo

Good stuff mate! Same comment re the panel lines, but colour is looking good - hould be even better with the Green on!

Very nice Paulo

Good stuff so far. BTW, the 'Y' piece I referred to on the harness is not the one which runs back from the seat frame, via a Bowden cable, to the anchor in the rear fuselage, but the section on the back of the seat itself, between the shoulder straps. This went over the seat back and down, and anchored on the cross frame points of the rear cockpit frame.
As for the seat colour/type, as a rule of thumb, if the aircraft left the assembly line after March, it would probably have the composite seat. If built prior to and up to March, it would probably have the early, metal seat. (The early seat was often retro-fitted, at unit level, on later Marks, particularly the MkIX, after pilots experiencing the collapse of the composite seat during/after high 'g' loads in combat.)

I wasn't aware of the seats time frame Terry but it is now duly noted. Gad, I really miss this site now....www.spitfires.ukf.net.

Geo

More photos:
Dark green applied, it is a mix of XF52:1 + XF62:5.
This aircraft displayed the standard B Scheme.
Future applied and awaiting for drying to proceed with decals, wash and weathering.

IMG_3499.gif

IMG_3497.gif

IMG_3500.gif

IMG_3498.gif

As usual, comments are welcome!

Cheers

Paulo

Looking very very nice. I like the pre-shading effect but it could be a little bit more noticable for the dark green colour ,in my humble opinion of course.

Nicely done so far, but I agree about the panel lines on the underside. The 'Sky' had only very recently been applied, and was therefore still 'new', with little or no weathering when the famous group of photos were taken. Even heavily weathered and worn, the joints and panels don't show up strongly on 'Sky', although they tend to slightly more on the later Medium Sea Grey.

Thanks!
I'll follow the advise!

Yes.... follow the advice. While at first it might feel crushing to have, what one thinks, is something negative said about one's work, in retrospect, comments giving will help one down the road in a future build. I have personally never witnessed anyone call someone harshly down for choosing the path they went and most comments are backed up with some sort proof.(I myself just learned the date of the changeover from spitfire metal seats to composite seats.) One thing I have learned since I've joined this site is to ask questions before the first piece is cut from the sprue. Lots of questions. There are some very knowledgeable people here (starting with the five above) who are more than happy to offer some sort of advice or history. I've seen some builds take up 4 or 5 pages before the model was started with advice, documents and photos being offered. Having rambled on just a tad too long, I would like to say, it looks very nice and I do prefer the spitfire in those colors.

Geo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back