Spitfire MK Ia - DW-K BoB (Airfix 1/72)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting, cheers Terry!
A question: In rear fueslage position, how the hell would the crew know if they were flying through gas??!

Last edited:
In theses cases, I think it was more for gas warning on the ground Evan.
However, on aircraft such as the Harvard, for example, the intention might have been to see if an aircraft had flown through, or more likely descended through, an area of a gas 'cloud'.
Bear in mind that training bases, generally, were some distance from the 'active' home battle front, and would not normally be subject to the relatively short-range and 'local' attack which would have been utilised in CW conditions. But, as a gas 'cloud' moved with the prevailing winds, it was possible that such aircraft might have contact, however brief, and this would provide a form of monitoring of toxicity strength, location, altitude etc, and without alarming a student pilot or crew too much, if the panel was out of direct view.

Hi all
Here are some photos showing the progress so far.

e8718536-ed95-443b-a7f3-7288249012a7.gif

null-4.gif

null-5.gif

null-3.gif

null-2.gif

null-1.gif

I'll also try something different for the sea tbelts, because the canopy will be left in the closed position I'll just decals fo seat belts, these came from a Tamiya kit, I just glued them in an aluminium foil using a pre-coat of Future, them another coat on top to seal everything.
Tomorrow I'll cut and glue.
null.gif

Cheers

Paulo

Very nice work Paulo!

Cheers Terry, that does make alot of sense! (never thought of it like that! :) )

Hi all
Some progres:

Here how the seatbelts turned out
IMG_3467.gif

IMG_3466.gif

I liked the volume.

Fuselage is closed and ready for sanding.
IMG_3468.gif

That's all for now, stay tuned!
Cheers
Paulo

Nicely done. It's a bit late now, but the 'Y' section on the Spitfire seat harness was behind the seat. Early Spits, built before March 1940, still had the metal seat, painted Cockpit Grey Green, after this, the dull red-brown 'composite' seat was fitted. However, once closed-up, especially if the canopy is closed, this won't be noticed.

Nicely done. It's a bit late now, but the 'Y' section on the Spitfire seat harness was behind the seat. Early Spits, built before March 1940, still had the metal seat, painted Cockpit Grey Green, after this, the dull red-brown 'composite' seat was fitted. However, once closed-up, especially if the canopy is closed, this won't be noticed.

Hi mate
I knew about the Y section of the harness been fixed on the back of the airframe, but like you said after the canopy is positioned closed, not much can be seen.
This particular airframe took its flight on the 4th of April 1940, and according to my researches the resin seats were introduced from mid May 1940, that's why I've painted it interior green.
Cheers
Paulo

Hi mates!
Enjoying a cold, rainy day in Adelaide, I spent Saturday arvo modelling, here are some updates:

Fuselage sanded
IMG_3472.gif

Canopy dipped into Future and set aside to dry. Very nice fit, only a small sand on the back and it's done!
b488aa7b-0106-4dc2-9f64-f166f5c14ceb.gif

Perfect fit on the wings (here is glued but not sanded yet)
IMG_3475.gif

IMG_3474.gif

General view
IMG_3476.gif

IMG_3479.gif

IMG_3480.gif

Here I found a mistake, there were missing those lines indicated in the photo.
37582513-2073-498b-b849-505e453b9b25.gif

That's it so far! Comments always welcome!
Cheers
Paulo

Good stuff so far. BTW, the 'Y' piece I referred to on the harness is not the one which runs back from the seat frame, via a Bowden cable, to the anchor in the rear fuselage, but the section on the back of the seat itself, between the shoulder straps. This went over the seat back and down, and anchored on the cross frame points of the rear cockpit frame.
As for the seat colour/type, as a rule of thumb, if the aircraft left the assembly line after March, it would probably have the composite seat. If built prior to and up to March, it would probably have the early, metal seat. (The early seat was often retro-fitted, at unit level, on later Marks, particularly the MkIX, after pilots experiencing the collapse of the composite seat during/after high 'g' loads in combat.)

Hi Airframe
I've got that this plane first flight was in the 4th of April 1940, and that the resin seats were introduced in mid May 1940, so I thought would be right to paint it as the metal version.
And for Y piece, you're right! You barely see inside after the canopy is positioned closed.
More progress photos coming soon!
Cheers
Paulo

Hi all!

Here some progress photos.
I've masked off the canopy and attached it to the fuselage, minor adjustment required, very good fit but the canopy looks a little bit larger to the sides, I've tried to centrelize it the best I could. Canopy fixed using white PVC glue.

Primed using Gunze H8 Aluminium thinned with Tamiya Thinner for acrilics. Very good paint, it was the first time I've used that and I'm really impressed.
null-1-1.gif

null-6.gif

Next update will show the pre-shading and the under surfaces painted (hopefully!)
Cheers
Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back