Squadron leader Syd ford's Spitfire Mk Vb at dieppe, Airfix 1/48 spitfire MkVb (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nxthanos

Senior Airman
Jun 11, 2011
I already started this project and am well along, but i had all the build shots of it, so if its alright I'll post it here, as its not complete yet.

The subject of the kit is the 1979 issue in 1/48 of the Spitfire Mk Vb and some aeromaster decals to represnt canadian ace Syd Ford's plane. He shot down two FW 190s covering the canuck landings and six during the war as well as sinking a german destroyer with a bomb, and was killed in 1944 and burried in holland.

Sid Ford

The kit:
rhubarb.gif

And the sprue shots:
SPITSPRUES3.gif

SPITSPRUES.gif

SPITSPRUES1.gif

SPITSPRUES2.gif

SPITSPRUES4.gif

Last edited:
Assembly began with the cockpit which was quite nice for such an old kit, followed by some painting of the interior colors and a quick wash for some effect.

SPITSPRUES7.gif

day1.gif

day12.gif

day11.gif

Sqd Leader ford is painted
day13.gif

And teh wings and fuseage are joined.
day14.gif

there were no gaps on the wings and fuseale so no putty was needed.

Now that primary (although not complete) assembly was done and dried, painting began. I originally intended to airbrush it, but the paint I had was old polly S and would not allow itself to be, so it was hand painted instead.

grayspit1.gif

grayspit.gif

At this point I dediced to hand paint the green came as well as I only had enamel Modelmaster green, and I hate getting that in my airbrush as its hard to clean out!

day21.gif

day2.gif

day22.gif

After that had dried overnite it was time to add the wing recognition panels, so these were first masked with tamiya tape:

day31.gif

day32.gif

Then an under cote of Humbrol flat white was applied and dried, followed by Tamiya yellow and finally some modelmaster engine red for the gunports.
day33.gif

I discovered I had used the walk-way decals from the aeromaster sheet on another spit, and the airfix decals didn't have them, so I masked them out first with tape:
day4.gif

then painted in the black..
day41.gif

and when the paint was pealed,I had nice lines!
day42.gif

The model was now over-sprayed with Testor's gloss cote to even out the colors and prepare for decals.
day5.gif

next the decals where applied and another cote was used to seal them.

day51.gif

day52.gif

The kit is now sprayed with testor's dull cote, and set aside to dry, and now we are up to date, the next posts will be when i do more work on her!

Update;

Dull cote is dry, so its time to paint and add the canopy and begin some light weathering.

day6.gif

day63.gif

The gunsmoke trails are done by first taking some water based flat black, diluting it and adding a drop near the gun ports and then gently running my finger along the wing to make the trail. When that dries i take a stick of black lead and gently etch it into the smoke trail to give it a little depth, followed again by the finger (this is a trick i picked up in art class in school using charchol back then).

Next the engine exhaust is painted burnt unber, given a black wash and a similar procedure is used to make the engine smoke trails.
day62.gif

The canopy is attacked using elmer's white glue, a non toxic adhesive that sets up slowly but dries clear and is very strong when dry.
day61.gif

The undersides are given a similar smoke trail treatment to the upper wings, and a light wash is applied to show teh wing elevators and such, and some highlights are done with the black lead again.
day64.gif

all that is left now is to add the landing gear and do whatever touchups are needed!

OK, its done, outside of one small detail, i need to add the rearview mirror, but I already took the picks!

complete11.gif

complete7.gif

complete6.gif

complete5.gif

complete10.gif

A fun project, now complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back