"Star Trek" The Original Series

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had no problems adapting to Picard
He was a Starfleet man of his time, just as Kirk was of his. The 24th century Federation was a more comprehensively mapped-out entity that Kirk's 23rd century Federation; rules, laws, protocols, treaties and conventions made starship captains more accountable for their actions. Picard-era captains were bound by more rules that reached further into the quadrant.

Kirk-era captains were more frontiersmen/pony-express riders, the Federation often wasn't around (physically or politically) when they bumped into bad guys, solutions were dealt from the hip and shotgun justice was often the difference between living to fight another day and getting fragged.

It would have been a mistake to try and put another Kirk on the Enterprise D; Kirk was legendary for being Kirk and a Starfleet full of Kirks would have made Kirk himself, well, just another starship captain.

Kirk and Picard were as different as two captains in any real navy; they both brought a bit of who they were to the job. Picard brought the same Starfleet training as Kirk but with 80-odd years of Starfleet experience fed back into the Academy mill.

I know it's sci-fi, but looking at it as 'how's he going to do Kirk?' is the wrong angle, more 'how's he going to do the captain's job?'

Good points Colin, also the ships themselves were all different and required decisions based on what the ship's abilities and shortcomings were. Even Janeway's Voyager was far more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise, which itself was much more advanced than Archer's Enterprise.

The thing that always impressed me about "Roddenberry's TREK" (as opposed to the later spin-offs), was how he captured the imagination (he spun an adventure that made us feel like we where traveling to new adventures). Somehow the show made the imagined universe of Trek seem big...and full of intriguing adventure. It was fun to see how the Enterprise and her crew would deal with the unknown (using diplomacy of controlled force). But I never got that feeling with any of the later spin-offs. The universe of the spin-offs seemed much smaller, and the solution to the problems seemed to follow "cannon"...:oops:

Babylon 5, now there is a show I have not thought of in years. "Space 1999" was pretty good as well, but a little on the hokie side watching it today.

I keep toying with the idea of buying Babylon 5 on DVD and watching the lot - although I would probably have to quit work to do it :lol: Space 199 does like dated - although not as dated as it's Gerry Anderson stablemate UFO. I always thought it ironic how the puppet shows have aged much better than his live action work. Maybe it's because the puppet shows were set in a future we have yet to reach, while the settings of the live action shows are now 'historical'.

Coming back to ST, I hope another TV series is made. Personally, I would like to see a prequel to TOS (could we forget ENT happened?) which really conveys the transition between space travel as we know it now and the technology of TOS.

Being an old fart, ST:TOS will always be the one and only Star Trek for me; ST:TNG may have "improved" on it, but TOS will always be my "first love". How can you improve on a Captain who has no problem with killing the bad guys, and hooking up with any random alien chick who comes along? A doctor who dispenses equal parts medicine and advice? A science officer who knows his stuff and has no problem telling everyone so? And, all things considered, ST:TOS was waaaay ahead of it's time in 1968 when it first came out.

NO COMMENTS :D

Attachments

• top turret gunner in action.jpg
    top turret gunner in action.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 88
LMAO

WOW, budget cuts are everywhere!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------

The one thing I have to give ST:TNG was there were alway s 2 stories, the episode and one running in the background that would be covered over several more episodes.

I also though they did a better job addressing current social ills/topics then the original such as treatment of Vietnam Vets, the USSR etc etc.

Last edited:
and i have to agree..i did watch the old series..and i liked the old movies as well.. but its one thing i hate about the new series.. they travel thru the universe and all they meet are humans with some growths ( cancer ? ) in the face ..and they ALL speak english.. and if they do meet someone that dont speak "english" they still speak english but just phrases that is making no sense..
i cant even fly for one hr and i come to a country where they speak a language i dont understand shi..t from..

i wish they could get some better storytellers.. they meet galaxtic fogs that "live" and so on.. the concept is good..the stories suck.. the old ons had atleast some good concept..now they suddenly end up in the 17th centry and so on.. just to save budget.. i hate the new series. but still..if its nothing else to watch and i am watching tv i might end up watching it and just getting irritated.. hehe

They actually brought that up in one episode of TOS, the fact that they kept running into humanoid species, and how odd it was that EVERY intelligent race closely resembled humans. They theorized that the galaxy had been seeded by a super-race in the very distant past, and all of the subsequent races they were running into resembled THAT race, including humanity. Not a bad explanation, actually, and had the potential to spawn off a whole slew of new stories (super-race artifacts, information, weaponry, technology, rumors of an intact city/spacecraft, etc).

and i have to agree..i did watch the old series..and i liked the old movies as well.. but its one thing i hate about the new series.. they travel thru the universe and all they meet are humans with some growths ( cancer ? ) in the face ..and they ALL speak english.. and if they do meet someone that dont speak "english" they still speak english but just phrases that is making no sense..
i cant even fly for one hr and i come to a country where they speak a language i dont understand shi..t from..

i wish they could get some better storytellers.. they meet galaxtic fogs that "live" and so on.. the concept is good..the stories suck.. the old ons had atleast some good concept..now they suddenly end up in the 17th centry and so on.. just to save budget.. i hate the new series. but still..if its nothing else to watch and i am watching tv i might end up watching it and just getting irritated.. hehe

Actually in "TNG" they did meet other forms of sentient life that didn't walk on two legs (and they had communication problems)...OH, wait (eeek)...my inner geek is showing! :happy2:

They actually brought that up in one episode of TOS, the fact that they kept running into humanoid species, and how odd it was that EVERY intelligent race closely resembled humans. They theorized that the galaxy had been seeded by a super-race in the very distant past, and all of the subsequent races they were running into resembled THAT race, including humanity. Not a bad explanation, actually, and had the potential to spawn off a whole slew of new stories (super-race artifacts, information, weaponry, technology, rumors of an intact city/spacecraft, etc).

It was in "TNG" not "TOS" (sad I should know that...or care):oops:

They must've brought it up in both series, assuming that the younger kids might not have caught that original episode. I remember Bones and Spock discussing it at one point.

...they kept running into humanoid species, and how odd it was that EVERY intelligent race closely resembled humans...
Could be closely related to the fact that the laws of physics are constant throughout the universe, with constant laws one only requires a reasonably constant set of tools. The humanoid form is highly successful when you consider what we can accomplish; locomotion, pentadactyl dexterity, opposable thumbs, colour vision all driven by a massively impressive computer that naturally forms patterns, remembers, communicates and cooperates in groups where necessary.

It could be that those skills, that particular template is the minimum requirement for species supremacy on a given oxygen- and water-abundant planet.

If you consider cars or aeroplanes and their formative phase in a wind-tunnel, though they look superficially different the wind-tunnel can in fact only come up with one answer that is ultimately successful, a wind tunnel will not 'bat for your side' giving preference to your design over your enemy's and the car or aeroplane must be evolved by the designers to reflect this success template or face the prospect of coming up with something that doesn't fly or is second best, in which case it will quickly perish at the hands of the other side's products, whom we can assume did design theirs to reflect this - survival of the fittest, in a rudimentary, natural selection context.

If evolution can be considered the analog of the wind tunnel, then possibly it too can only come up with one answer, to succeed and progress in sophistication we needed to have evolved as we have done, in humanoid form. There have been one or two attempts...

...some near-misses might include Neanderthal Man, very similar to us bar his inability to communicate effectively, one tribal group could not grunt the same grunt as the tribal group in the next clearing and they would likely regard them as local bounty rivals anyway, so cooperation would not be high on the agenda either - two key aspects of the 'success template' missing already. Along came Cro Magnon Man (us) and Neanderthal Man found himself unable to compete; the inferior template perishing at the hands of the successful one.

Just an opinion but I don't think humanoid-template-everywhere is such a gigantic leap of imagination.

Last edited:
They must've brought it up in both series, assuming that the younger kids might not have caught that original episode. I remember Bones and Spock discussing it at one point.

RA it was discussed in this episode of Star Trek (TOS).

Star Trek - The Original Series Video - Return to Tomorrow - CBS.com

Wheels

mY bAd...It was (also) the plot of a "TNG" episode from the 6th season called The Chase (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Live long and Prosper"

Watch it here: http://www.blinkx.com/video/star-trek-the-next-generation-tng-the-chase/TNoNVqUXi2iFs5ERAvk2KA

Last edited:
hehe

but english is sure not the evelutions windtunnel ..if itw as the whole world would have one language..
but then we have the tower of babels if you belive in those stories-- anyway.. i dont like the humanoid idea as planets are different and evelution will adapt to the planet its on.. and actually humans are a crappy race..we get diseases..we dont get old.. we loose our teeth and they dont replace and so on.. its just the brain that saved us.. i would say sharks are much better ( even crocs ) as they have been around for millions of years..so for me i like star wars better as they have different languages and different evelution solutions to different planets :) to me that is more realistic :)
but again..we all have different opinions and thanks for that :) that is what make it all so fun..and also gives us series like star trek..star wars.. Star Gate and so on ( now star gate is a cool idea..as humans have travelled in those gates for ages.. so they are all humans ( msotly ) .. and that the odl goods ( like viking god and so on actually were humans comming to earth in those gates..now i love that concept ) but the new battle star galatic series sucks more that i have words for..
( atleast they could have fantasy enough to give the characthers new names and dont pretend to be the old series.. there star trek is better as they have going forward.. NOW that is one thing i love about the new series in Star Trek ( one tiny detail i LOVE..all the different U.S.S Enteprises on the wall of the captains cabin.. even the old WW2 enteprise.. the old Enterprise from the old series and so on.. :)

and ok..i can go with the plot in episode 6 ( TNG )
just read it on the link here :) ( and it sure makes it cheaper for the special effect guys that are making the episodes..hehe )

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back