Steve Hinton Flying Paul Allen's Il-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The engine is a left-turning Allison V-1710. As far as I know, this is the only aircraft in the world other than a P-38 Lightning that is using a left-turn Allison. It was built by Joe and Pat Yancey while I was working there and we ran it in so the valves seated before shipping it to Mr. Allen.

Thank you.

It is interesting that the 'Il-2 M3' designation still pops out from time to time :)

This is the most authentic Il-2 I have ever seen (have seen 4) and is bone stock except for the engine and propeller, tires, and brakes.

The Soviet Air Force used Russian tank paint for most of the war, and Mr. Allen's people went to Russia and had that researched, and got the same paint, came home and had it color-matched.

I do not believe there are many original engines even complete, much less capable of being restored to operation. According to the research, they weren't all that reliable in service and he opted for the Allison.

There is another one being restored in Russia and Joe Yancey will supply that engine, too. After much deliberation, the owner has decided to delete the armor tub so it will be over a ton lighter than Mr. Allen's plane is when it flies again.

Last edited:
Stupid question - isn't the armor structural? How can you delete the tub? Use something other than steel?

Actually I'm not an Il-2 expert, so I don't know. I know the new Il-2 will make the attempt to come in MUCH lighter, but not the details. When it flies, I'll have pics, but they are generally just exterior flight pics, not detailed construction photos.

Steve is a high-time warbid pilot, very probably the highest-time in the businesss. Not sure he is super rich. Well off? I'd say yes. Super rich? You'd have to ask Steve.

Considering he comes in to work every day and is there every Saturday when he isn't flying an airshow, he's at LEAST rooted in good work ethic. Great person with a friendly, lovely wife who is also there and a son who is a really good all-round guy who will talk and interact with anyone despite being a 6-time Reno air racing champion. No swelled, self-important heads there at all from any Hinton, including brother John, who is also a hgih-time warbird pilot. Need help? John'll give it anytime you ask as will Steve or Steve-O (Jr.). For that matter, so will his wife, Karen. All-round great people from personal experience of more than 10 years as a volunteer at the museum.

Steve is very definitely NOT unapproachable and will interact very positively with most anyone. Come on over and see for yourself sometime. You'll leave thinking he enjoyed interacting with you, and he did.

I'm just a volunteer, but I've never seen him angry in 10 years, always positive. Can you say that about many people you know? I can't.

Call me a Steve Hinton family friend and fan. Guilty.

Steve is a high-time warbid pilot, very probably the highest-time in the businesss. Not sure he is super rich. Well off? I'd say yes. Super rich? You'd have to ask Steve.

Considering he comes in to work every day and is there every Saturday when he isn't flying an airshow, he's at LEAST rooted in good work ethic. Great person with a friendly, lovely wife who is also there and a son who is a really good all-round guy who will talk and interact with anyone despite being a 6-time Reno air racing champion. No swelled, self-important heads there at all from any Hinton, including brother John, who is also a hgih-time warbird pilot. Need help? John'll give it anytime you ask as will Steve or Steve-O (Jr.). For that matter, so will his wife, Karen. All-round great people from personal experience of more than 10 years as a volunteer at the museum.

Steve is very definitely NOT unapproachable and will interact very positively with most anyone. Come on over and see for yourself sometime. You'll leave thinking he enjoyed interacting with you, and he did.

I'm just a volunteer, but I've never seen him angry in 10 years, always positive. Can you say that about many people you know? I can't.

Call me a Steve Hinton family friend and fan. Guilty.

Sorry i thought the first post said it was owned by Paul Allen.

It is. So are all the other aircraft in the collection including the Mosquito that just arrived from New Zealand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back