"Still going strong..." 15 months later...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I forgot to mention the exhaust staining, which is more of diluted oil paints, overlaid with brushed pastel chalks. This I couldn't seal, as it disappears under a spray of varnish.

So that's the build. I tried to get the exterior as accurate as I could to the references I have for this particular Lancaster. I would be very interested to find out any obvious mistakes I've made in my depiction. And obviously I'd welcome any criticism as to the build standard, as that is the only way I'm going to learn to up my standards.

Finally, I haven't attempted to add the wire antennae. Any hints as to how to get a good result here? What material, what type of glue, how to anchor and tension them etc? And a last question : did this aircraft carry the di-pole aerial and if so, on which side of the fuselage.

Thanks to everyone for taking the tim to read this.

Well the end result is positively super! The weathering is masterful. I see you managed to hide the angular camo transitions with exhaust streaks. Bravo. I copied your pics and zoomed in on them and couldn't find any obvious problems. I think it's a superlative build.

Gerry for your first outing in twenty years this is quite excellant looks very good.The only critique if I may in 1/72 and even 1/48 scale go for the hard demacation lines on the camo other than that she looks the part :thumbleft: Cheers Kevin

Very well done indeed ! The only two points I would raise concern the 'feathering' between the upper surface camouflage colours, and the yellow prop tips. In this scale, any soft edge is virtually invisible, but spraying on a very fine setting, close in, at only part trigger pressure, will replicate the effect fairly well. I normally do this freehand, following pencilled lines drawn onto the first colour , in this case, Dark Earth.
The yellow prop tips look a bit 'long'; they were four inches in 'real life', so about half what you have painted.
By the dipole aerial, do you mean the long, Beam Approach (Lorenz) antenna on the lower, rear fuselage? If so, then yes, this should be fitted.

Thanks for your responses, Guys. I take on board your comments re the feathering for future projects. Also the prop tips. And yes that's the aerial I meant, Terry. Rear portside?

I think my next build will be a yellow nosed 109E, in 1/32 scale (20 year old kit!). Probably won't be able to start it till after Christmas. I'll start a new thread on this build as I suspect I'll be looking for a bit of help.

Yep, rear port side, open end to the rear.
A 1/32nd Bf109E, 20 year old kit? In that case it's got to be either the Matchbox or Hasegawa kit. I posted a review of both of these kits, in direct comparison, a month or two back, which might help, and a post covering a re-furb of the Matchbox kit. I'm also building both of these in the BoB Group Build, although I haven't started on the Hasegawa kit yet - it needs a lot of work to get it anywhere near looking right !

Terry, It is indeed the Matchbox kit. Just looked up and bookmarked your review. Just had time to skim it, but looks like it will be really useful for the build. Looks like I lucked into the right kit! Are you going to thread the build? That would be really interesting.

Thanks once again to everyone who responded for your encouraging comments and suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back