Student urinates on war memorial

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The funny thing is that, if he was making a political statement his rights would be covered under or "freedom of speech" thingy...:rolleyes:

I am speechless (almost). I hear enough ignorant, cocky B.S. from the people I have to work with...and this just makes me all the madder. I agree with ToughOmbre, though: penalties if it was a mindless, drunken act--and if it wasn't and he truly disrespects the people that allow him to be alive and HAVE an opinion, then heaven help him from me and the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Two ways to look at this.....

1) If he was truly so drunk that he had NO idea of what he was doing, then fines, apology, community service (as timshatz said) would be in order.

2) If he did know what he was doing, and purposely urinated on a war memorial, then I'm with Joe.

TO

Agree completely

Nice...pink shorts and all...so now I am thinking he was put up to peeing on that memorial...amazing how someone *just* happened to have a camera handy for the act...

The plot thickens (or sickens). Right GG, it's troubling that there is a photo. I'm more inclined than ever to agree with Joe!

TO

amazing how someone *just* happened to have a camera handy for the act...

Speaking from experience, there are far, FAR, FAR too many cameras handy when your average dude is drunk. Always seems to be one around (which is why I can never go into politics).

As for him pissing on the memorial, pretty stupid. But, and I'm not defending him BUT it reminds me of the joke:

"What are the most common words said by a Redneck before dying?"

"Ya'll watch this."

This guy is the British version of a Redneck. Same mentality. Stupid to the extreme. But with no political intent. At least none that I can see.

BTW- What do you call a British Redneck?

The funny thing is that, if he was making a political statement his rights would be covered under or "freedom of speech" thingy...:rolleyes:
Not so much. You don't get to damage or deface public property or the property of others to make a political statement.

A similar incident that insults the victims of the war happened in the atomic bomb memorial park in Hiroshima on August 1, 2003. A student had lit the gifted 14,000 memorial paper cranes to burn.

It was a rusult of our poor education.

Details(in English) -
Chugoku Shimbun Peace News

Living near a Uni I get to enjoy the "hilarious" drunk students most nights. As for this guy, I'd say a public apology in front of the memorial (with vets in the front row) should suffice

Avoided jail, got 250 hours community service. Judge said the kid was responsible for his actions but that Britain's binge drinking culture was a contributing factor; also that he had never seen anybody as remorseful and contrite in the dock.

I would like to think that this has been a very "sobering" lesson to the young man in question, that he has learned
from the experience and that he will turn out to be a splendid human being.

BBC News - Urinating student avoids prison

Honestly, I have given this issue some "afterthought"....and this is just the kind of transgression that deserves the modern equivalent of the public stocks. And by that I mean, he deserves to be publicly humiliated. Maybe a public "shaming" is a better name for it...In this case I feel that the news coverage this story has received is justified.

The coverage it got over here, believe me, he was shamed.

I know that their where a lot of people that felt he deserved to be urinated on, or beat-up...but really he was just a dumb drunk kid who needed to "think" and learn about why his actions where so offensive. I'll bet that sense this story has got so much coverage that he has had more then a couple of people talk to him about their feelings on the issue.

For many years he will be known as the self involved twit who disrespected the good people who gave their life for our freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back