Student urinates on war memorial

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
LONDON (Reuters) – A university student who was photographed urinating over a war memorial was warned on Wednesday that he could be jailed for the "dis-gusting act."

Philip Laing, 19, was charged by police after the picture, which showed him urinating on a poppy wreath following a drinking session in the center of Sheffield, appeared on a national newspaper's website.

"The image of your urinating over the poppy wreath on the war memorial in this city will make most turn away in dis-gust, shock and sadness," said District Judge Anthony Browne.

"It has undoubtedly distressed and upset many. The war memorial is a sacred and a special place."

Laing, who appeared in the dock wearing a poppy, pleaded guilty to outraging public decency when he appeared at Sheffield Magistrates' Court.

Browne adjourned sentencing for reports, saying all options including custody, were open, the Press Association reported.

The court heard that Laing, a sports technology student at Sheffield Hallam University, had drunk a bottle of whisky before attending an organized student drinking session organized by a private company, Carnage UK.

"Carnage is the name of the organization who promote this type of activity and some might say that somebody should be standing alongside you this morning," the judge said.

The court was told Laing had no recollection of the events of the night of October 11 until he was contacted by the university press office and shown the photograph which was later published on the Daily Mail website.

Prosecutor Ian Conway said Laing had immediately admitted the offence when arrested and told police he was "very, very drunk, the drunkest I've ever been since I've been at university."

"The dis-gusting and reprehensible act the defendant carried out was in no way premeditated, targeted or politically motivated," Conway said.

"His actions were sadly the result of having consumed large amounts of alcohol."

Laing's lawyer Tim Hughes said his client had become caught up in a culture of drinking far too much and added that Laing's grandparents had fought in the war.

"It's difficult to articulate just how embarrassed and ashamed this young man is," he said.

Laing was released on bail until the next hearing on November 26.

Stupid drunk thing caught on camera. If you haven't done it, you will. And boy, do those pictures come back to haunt you.

While I don't condone what he did, he shows a lot of remorse and didn't mean it as some kind of "flag burning" event. He was really, really drunk. Stupid drunk thing to do.

Drank a whole bottle of whiskey, damn....that's a lot whiskey.

Let him off with a public apology and public service cleaning up a Vetran's cemetery or two.

Two ways to look at this.....

1) If he was truly so drunk that he had NO idea of what he was doing, then fines, apology, community service (as timshatz said) would be in order.

2) If he did know what he was doing, and purposely urinated on a war memorial, then I'm with Joe.

TO

Wow, if its just an accident, give him a fine, or some community work, and let him be on his way (though a vet may just try to shoot his a@@). IT WAS STILL A LOUSY THING TO DO. I don't even want to think of what I would do for punishment if that was my son.

1) If he was truly so drunk that he had NO idea of what he was doing, then fines, apology, community service (as timshatz said) would be in order.

2) If he did know what he was doing, and purposely urinated on a war memorial, then I'm with Joe.

TO

I agree

TO

Agreed. Still I wonder about today's youth.

Even when I am drunk, I would never do something like this a memorial. I guess that is because my parents taught me respect.

Todays drunken act of urination can be a lot more dangerous then in the past...if "ones" not careful you can be arrested for being a sex offender. All things being considered, this kid got off light. Clearly this was NO political statement...just drunken stupidity.

Indecent exposure, defacing public property, public urination, littering, I think an imaginative prosecutor could come up with a 5 figure fine and some time in county jail for him.

Agree with TO. If it was the alcohol controlling him, toss him in the clink for a few, with a hefty fine and some very long community service cleaning up memorials, war cemeteries, and/or volunteering at the VA or helping out around a hospital for disabled vets just returning from overseas.

If it was a political statement....do all of the above, but give the vets a bunch of baseball bats studded with rusty nails.

Well now... your anger is not complete w/o seeing the photo...

They should put him in a military prison

Attachments

• eht.jpg
    eht.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 473
If that assclown was that drunk, I'm wondering who provoked him to do it...usually drunks that are that hammered don't make a concsious effort to take a leak on a specific object. Either they stagger to the nearest wall or just let fly in thier drawers.

I'm sure he's apologetic, but in addition to his sentance, I would have him go to a veteran's rest home and be an assistant for at least a few months...

Nice...pink shorts and all...so now I am thinking he was put up to peeing on that memorial...amazing how someone *just* happened to have a camera handy for the act...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back