stupid question about group builds (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sturmbock44

Banned
Nov 5, 2012
California
Ive only been a member of a short time but i think im gonna have to ask another question... when you all say group build done by members of this site as a group... do you mean several people working together on one model ? because all the group builds appear to be done by individuals... im having trouble distinguishing the difference between a group build and a start to finish build. is it more or less theme builds with categories? please explain to the slow guy thanks

Yes, they are basically "start to finish" builds with a common theme and a time limit. We all pick and build models within the basic heading, such as the one that ends today, "Carrier Aircraft", and then strive to complete them before the clock runs out. I have found it helpful as an incentive to actually finish models, and we all recieve advice and encouragement in a common goal. They overlap one month, ie, the new one has been on for a month now, while the old one ends today. There is plenty of time in the current "1914 to 1939" for you to enter.

I get it now thats pretty cool! i agree posting and especially group builds would motivate you to not have giant pauses in a build.(which im known to do if things go wrong like botching a paint job) Im not sure if i can jump in just yet on a group build but will participate very soon when possible.
once a particular theme ends can it get brought back later on in the year? like defense of the reich? or are you striving for new group builds each group build? if that makes sense

There is a list of the upcoming builds, if you go to the "Group Builds" heading and scroll down you will see a thread that covers it.

A little while ago, Vic ran an unofficial poll to see what members wanted in the way of Group Builds in the future. This has resulted in some popular ones being done again, albeit in slightly modified form in some instances.
The idea is to provide variety in subjects as far as possible, otherwise we end up having Group Builds with different titles, but the same endless lines of Messerschmitts, Focke Wulfs, Mustangs or Spitfires - same subjects, but slightly different schemes. Nothing wrong with those types of aircraft, but they're only a small number of types compared to the literally thousands of types which can be modelled.

And just to maybe set aside any preconceptions, the GB's are not intended to be a race. Although there's a specific time limit, the 4 months allotted should be plenty of time for the average builder to research, plan, and build a decent model.

The Group builds are basicly like Themed Competitions, although we don't really compete against each other, more support, and post ways of doing things on the model that people might not have thought up of. Its also a great refrence for future modelers of certain aircraft, they get to see a lot of details that mostly don't come up on specific aircraft.

It also develops the participants modeling skills and interacts with the other group members :)

Good time to be had by all, even if you are not taking part :)

The Group builds are basicly like Themed Competitions, although we don't really compete against each other, more support, and post ways of doing things on the model that people might not have thought up of. Its also a great refrence for future modelers of certain aircraft, they get to see a lot of details that mostly don't come up on specific aircraft.

It also develops the participants modeling skills and interacts with the other group members :)

Good time to be had by all, even if you are not taking part :)

You put that very well, hit the nail on the square head.

I might add... there should to be a Story behind the build as well. A pilot, a squadron, an operation, with as accurate markings as is possible. Could be from the kit and Out Of the Box, or if you like pain, like me, you could find something Not specific to even aftermarket markings. This tends to put much more pressure on getting the build done in the allotted four months. This is something I do not recommend for the faint hearted. It requires getting custom decals printed, agonizing modifications to the aircraft, that sort of thing. It helps to be on High Blood Pressure medication, like my ownself if you intend to tackle something of this nature.

But please join in, "no experience required". Just sayin. Just Plane Bill

***I might add, there is never a Stupid Question. Nine times out of ten, someone else is just reluctant to ask that same question.

Last edited:
have you guys ever thought of doing a "Group" build....all the same fighter group....and then donating those to the museum for that group for them to display?

Ill head over and read about upcoming group builds. If recon is coming up i will have an entry i can make. Sounds like fun thanks for the feedback guys! great group of people here!

have you guys ever thought of doing a "Group" build....all the same fighter group....and then donating those to the museum for that group for them to display?

I've thought about this for my local Museum, doing a whole Group of fighters and then donating it to the museum or letting them display it for a bit (if my work was worthy enough :D)

but it just never comes up :S and when it does, I'm like....maybe next year.

I think it'd be a cool idea for a group, group build :D

From what i understand its a split between late war jets and recon... If anyone can elaborate i know this isnt the group build forum but if this needs to be moved mods maybe you can decide. As for the next build is it open for anylate war jet and recon plane meaning jets dont need to be recon and recon entries dont have to be jets? i have jet recon, prop recon, i could enter, or if any late war jet is welcome i have a few ideas. If i only get one thing done for the build i want to Have my 1\48 Ju 88 H ready , just waiting on SQUADRON! they did me wrong this time, i used to like ordering from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back