Super detailing Guillow's P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Time to start "dressing up" the wheel well interior. Electrical conduits were made from thin white plastic rods and a fine-tipped black marker pen was used to help delineate the wiring.

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 237A.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 47
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 238A.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 47
To simulate the heavy plumbing within the wells just forward of the wing leading edge, I cut up some sections of larger sized tubing a painted them in different colors representing the varied colors of the plumbing.

To simulate the rubberized insulation, I cut up some thin strips of black electrical tape and wrapped them around each piece.

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 222A.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 39
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 223A.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 34
To obtain the thin metal adjustable straps, I spray painted silver paint onto some paper.

After the pain was dried, I carefully used a pair of scissors to cut up very thin strips.
At first, I tried using a razor, but it turned out the razor tended to grab the paper and pull it.

As you can see from the last photo, the strips were very thin. Had to really adjust my eyes just to see if I was cutting anything at all.

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 224A.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 35
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 225A.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 226A.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 36
As with the reservoir, each thin strip of paper was first glued at the end to help give it a grip.

When the glued dried, the strips were wrapped around in various ways to simulate the metal bands.

Then all of the plastic tubings were given a once-over to make sure all were okay. I purposely bent one of them to simulate one of the heavy pipes that appeared bernt to conform to the tight surroundings.

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 219A.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 220A.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 41
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 221A.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 39
Dressing up the wheel well interiors some more.

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 239A.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 34
For the inner door actuator, I employed the same techniques used on the plumbing but this time adding some strips of thin cut tape on the ends.

Then I added a "bracket" that I see on the full sized aircraft to the actuator using a piece of small plastic sheeting cut to size and shape.

Then the whole thing was spray painted silver

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 249A.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 31
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 250A.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 31
Using a long plastic rod with a piece of tape to hold my actuator, I took a guess as how it's supposed to be glued in place. I'm really guessing at this point as I don't have any inner gear doors to compare. So, let's hope I'm guessing close enough.

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 251A.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 38
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 248A.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 41
Temporarily placing the faux skin over the wheel wells, help to give it a perspective of what it will look like when completed. I purposely left out the chrome actuator arms as they will most likely be knocked off during the rest of the assembly.

I added a few ore plumbing and wiring, but for the most part, the whee; well are completed for now. I'm now moving onto the cockpit interior detailing and waiting for the arrival of stenciling decals to help finish the small details.

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 252A.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 52
It has been a while since I looked in on this and you have made some Nice progress and work Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread