Ta152-H1 uber-fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Test

Attachments

• fw190a-13.jpg
    fw190a-13.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 876
Adler it is still a bit big in my estimation. thanks for the introduction into saving the fonts.... :D I'll try that and see what happens

Gruß

The Red Top, originally known as the de Havilland Firestreak IV, entered service in 1964 as a complement to and partial replacement for the earlier marks of Firestreak. Unlike it's predecessor, the new missile could engage targets from any direction, and both the launch aircraft and its target may be travelling at speeds up to Mach 2. The Red Top, which carries a larger warhead than the Firestreak and uses semiconductors in place of valves, was designed for use against low-level manoeuvring targets rather than high level bombers, and may be fired without having to aim at the launch aircraft in the exact direction of its objective. The position of the target to be engaged may be supplied by the interceptor's fire-control system (Ferranti Airpass on the BAC Lightning) or by the pilot...

Type: Short-Range Air-to-Air missile.
Powerplant: one two-stage solid propellant rocket motor
Performance: cruising speed Mach 3 or 1,980 mph at 40,000 feet. Maximum range 7 miles.
Weight: 330 lb
Warhead: 68-lb HE

Source of this document?

My understanding was the first Red Top missiles used vacume tubes, later they were upgraded to use solid state technology (in the 70's).

=S=

Lunatic

Where is YOUR source for the vacuum tube story then? If you are going to ask for sources, you better be ready to cough up yours as well.

So what if they used vacuum tubes? Did you know that alot of early Russian jets used vacuum tubes, and not for the reason that most people think. Vacuum tubes are far less succeptable to the EMP from a nuclear explosion than solid state electronics.

Well built tubes would not affect the functioning of the missile.

Sorry, I forgot the source. "Encyclopedia of World Air Power" - Bill Gunston (1985)

Old but not too old to know about the Red Top.

evangilder said:
Where is YOUR source for the vacuum tube story then? If you are going to ask for sources, you better be ready to cough up yours as well.

So what if they used vacuum tubes? Did you know that alot of early Russian jets used vacuum tubes, and not for the reason that most people think. Vacuum tubes are far less succeptable to the EMP from a nuclear explosion than solid state electronics.

Well built tubes would not affect the functioning of the missile.

I never said vacume tubes were all bad. But they did have problems with high G tolerance, and cooling issues for IR sensors.

My reason for asking was I suspect the Red Top had vacume tube tech at the start and then transitioned to solid state. But I could be wrong on this, its just that 1964 seems too early for solid state given my reading on the subject.

I've posted numerous sources already.

=S=

Lunatic

I did a search to see what I could find about the vacuum tubes and I could not find anything but this.
Red Top was evolved from the earlier Firestreak AAM, with improved Violet Banner seeker, Green Garland IR fuse and Linnet booster rocket. Originally called Firestreak Mk IV, De Havillands, kept the Ministry of supply code name for marketing. Deployed on Lightning and Sea Vixen, Red Top remained in service until retired along with the Lightning in 1988

Proposed variants included Blue Dolphin, which was also called Blue Jay MkV. This was to have an active continuous wave radar seeker and was intended for Sea Vixen and TSR.2. Blue Jay MkV was similar in capability to the US AIM-7 Sparrow.
www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/redtop.htm

Gents

May you advise me on any pilots, who flew Ta-152, preferably against Soviets? Any aces among them?

Friend of mine makes a flying model of the plane and wants to paint it as specific as possible.

Thanks!

Umm lets see what I can find. It was not used as much as you think in combat because there were not very many built. From what I have found so far the aircraft saw most of its combat in the defense of Berlin against the Russians.

Okay here looks like a good one for you:

Walter Loos

Walter Loos was one of the last German Experten. He came as a newly-trained pilot to the III./JG 3 in January 1944, and was one of the few new pilots of 1944 who survived the war. He claimed his first aerial victory during a fierce aerial battle when the 8. US Air Force attacked Berlin on March 6, 1944.

While with the "Sturmgruppe" IV./JG 3, he downed several four-engine bombers and was hand-picked by Walther Dahl for Geschwaderstab/JG 300. Loos made a great success as a Sturmflieger, but was himself shot down nine times in only a few months.

Stab/JG 301 was equipped with the Ta 152, the most modern propeller-fighter, in order to protect the bases of the jet-fighters from Spring 1945. It was natural to include Loos in this unit.

On April 24, 1945, Loos encountered a formation of Soviet fighters over Berlin and managed to down two of them. In spite of flying only 66 missions, he was credited with 38 confirmed victories (including 22 four-engine Americans and 8 Soviets) plus 8 unconfirmed victories.

It should be noted that the werknummer (serial-number) of this, the only surviving Ta 152, could not be confirmed. Some sources quote it W.Nr. 150010, which is quite possibly correct.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/markltuc/ta152h-o.htm

Attachments

• green_4_cs_small2_706.jpg
    green_4_cs_small2_706.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 736
Loos victories during the summer/fall of 44 are suspect and Stab./JG 301 never defeneded ANY jet bases. Not sure where this myth has come from or evolved. Jupp Keil was an ace with the Tank and Will Reschke was close flying several different numbered Tanks

the best reading on the Ta 152H is in Willi Reschke's JG 301/302 book now translated to English by Schiffer pubs.

yes the Stab/JG 301 was in the defence of Berlin and there were actually more victories against Sopviet a/c that have been claimed.

JG 301 will be covered by Jerry Crandall with many profiles and a special tribute to the Ta 152H with several different above, below, side views, cockpit details, armament details. I will be supplying some material/pics when he gets to that point for the work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back