Tail Art and Paintings on Modern Fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great Pics there, Beaupower!
I also wanted to know what all the Painted Planes are presenting.
Bombing Runs on Enemy Territory? Sorties on a spezial Place?
Ground Kills?

please post more details on all those missions :)

here is a couple of shoots of the Norwegian AF Falcon Jet.. it has a raven painted on the vertical and its named after one of the two ravens that the norse god Odin had ( hugin and Munin ) we have two falcon jets and they are called as you already guessed ..hugin and munin

i hope to see more tailart and nose art here..surely there must be loads of pics out there :)

Attachments

• falcon jet (1).jpg
    falcon jet (1).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 94
  • falcon jet.jpg
    falcon jet.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 102
Well, they are not kill marks. The aircraft was stationed at Edwards AFB in California for most if not all of its career. Each Symbol denotes a peticular test mission. In Example

The two B-52 silhouettes at center represent Wake Vortex tests and one represents an F-16 Target Test. Ten marks represent flights by the F-15 Spin Research Vehicles, although the three vehicles were launched twenty-six times. The first F-15 SRV flight was launched on November 29, 1977 and the last was launched on July 15, 1981.
DSC_6530%20NB-52B%2052-0008%20mission%20marks%20l.jpg

Thirteen marks represent the Shuttle Reusable Booster/Drop Test Vehicle (SRB/DTV). Two horizontal silhouettes at upper right indicate captive carry flights flown on June 10, 1977. Below those silhouettes are two more representing the first series of six drops of the SRB/DTV, which began on June 15, 1977 and ended on September 12, 1978.

The nine SRB/DTV marks to the left represent a second series of drops of the SRB/DTV. Three large stabilizing fins were added to the SRB/DTV. The SRB/DTV silhouettes for the second series of drops show the fins. The first drop was scheduled for February 23, 1983, but the rear hooks on the X-15 pylon failed as the NB-52B was taxiing. The horizontal silhouette with the hook at the front represents that incident. The first of eight drops in the second series was flown on September 16, 1983. The last was flown on March 20, 1985. The parachutes separated from the SRB/DTV on one flight, which is represented by a silhouette with a ground line and Joshua Trees on each side.
DSC_6531%20NB-52B%2052-0008%20mission%20marks%20l.jpg

Go here to learn more of what all the symbols represent. I used the info off the website for the above pictures. Goleta Air and Space Museum: NASA's NB-52B Walkaround

Some really cool photos so far. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Here is my small contribution to this thread - this is J-22 Orao (Eagle) strike aircraft of Serbian Air Force with special paint scheme and with tail art intended to represent our country on various air shows across Europe. (Tail art is a variation of Cyrillic letters which appear also on Coat of arms of Serbia.)

Attachments

• y_J22.jpg
    y_J22.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
thas a nice one :) never seen that before :) thanks for sharing

and also thanks for sharing the info on the "bomb runs " :)

loved those

I came across this photo on the net and thought it would be nice to post it here. Really great tail art on this one and the guy in tiger costume brought smile on my face the moment when I saw it.

Attachments

• 25668.jpg
    25668.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 79

Users who are viewing this thread

Back